How do you cook your liver and onions?

Another vote for pig’s liver, which I tend to casserole without pre-frying, whereas lamb’s liver I’d normally serve up lightly fried - as stated, it mustn’t be overcooked, or it goes tough.

For those who won’t eat liver at any price, I presume eggs are off the menu too? :dubious:

Instant mashed potatoes these days are pretty good, actually. As a result of protests like yours, I’ve learned to throw off my family by mixing in like, one actual boiled potato mashed up and stirred in to give the instant potatoes authentic lumps, much as my Mom used to mix in one quart of milk to powdered milk to make the powdered stuff more palpable.

Although, I must admit, I do like instant mashed potatoes from time to time as a comfort food (although I never keep any at home), I have to think that if you make the effort to boil one potato and mash it, you might as well throw in a few more and make it all from scratch, no?

I cook my onions in butter, and my liver in vodka or gin. :smiley:

But why even bother with instant mashed potatoes? Are mashed potatoes that hard to make that you need a substitute? I don’t see it - mashed potatoes are the easiest thing in the world to make, next to hard boiled eggs. Maybe I should put this as my entry in the “Staples in other people’s houses but never found in yours” thread in either MPSIMS or IMHO (I’ve forgotten which it’s in).

I just never have potatoes on hand, since I never bake them or do anything else with them. But during the rare occasions when I feel an overwhelming urge to make liver and onions or meatloaf, it’s nice to have mashed potatoes with it, so I always have a couple envelopes of the instant stuff in the pantry. Plus I only cook for myself, so making a huge batch of mashed potatoes for just myself hardly seems worth the effort.

And the instant ones aren’t half-bad with the different varieties they make now, plus if you add some extra seasonings.

I make something silimar to that, except I add some garlic, mushrooms, a tin of tomatoes and some tomato puree. It is lovely. Savoy cabbage is fantastic with liver. And think of all the iron you’re getting!!

A pal of mine in uni gave me fried pigs liver one day and instead of coating it in flour, she had coated in in curry powder before frying it. It was absolutel delicious.
Might have that for dinner tomorrow night.

1. Roughly dice the liver and set aside on a place.
  2. Take the onion and finely slice it.
  3. Take onion slices and place on hamburger.
  4. Put place with liver on the floor for the dog. :smiley:

Gee, if I could learn to type it right the first time …

That should be plate, not place. :smack:

Do you own a biohazard suit? :stuck_out_tongue:

Ahh. It’s clearer now. Course, you could always buy a potato or two along with the liver or meatloaf fixins while at the store, too. :wink: