How do you define love?

Nice. I wish there was a “thumbs up” smiley.

That’s where I first encountered it phrased that way.

This was my first thought, followed closely by, “a sweet old fashioned notion”.

I think you mean: Love is like oxygen. You get too much you get too high, not enough and you’re gonna die. Love gets you high

It is a flower, and you, its only seed.

I was quoting the excellent movie Moulin Rouge. I’m not really the only person to see it, am I?

And that line in that film, in turn, was quoting Sweet, Sammy Fain and Paul Francis Webster, Joe Cocker and Jennifer Warnes, and The Beatles. :slight_smile:

I saw the movie when it came out but I don’t remember that.

When I saw your post, I too thought along the lines of Omar Little. I just looked up the song, and I thought it was by ELO but no, it was by a band called Sweet, from way back in Jan 1978.

40 years ago. Sheesh!

Love is blind.

Love is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD.

Love is rendering a significant piece of your head space to another individual.
That’s also the definition of hate.

I’ve heard that love and hate have similarities, but declaring them synonyms could have odd effects when you swap the ‘equivalent’ words for each other in various songs and popular sayings.

“Love is a beautiful cycle of song,
A medley of extemporania,
Love is a thing that can never go wrong,
And I am the Queen of Romania !”

L is for the way you look at me.
O is for the only one I see.
V is very very extraordinary.
E is even more than anyone that you adore.

According to Altered States, love is when you prefer the senseless pain you inflict on each other to the pain you would otherwise inflict on yourselves.

An illusory state that is more chemicals than anything else that aided in our survival but that doesn’t actually exist outside of our own heads.

Love ain’t nothing but sex misspelled.

Aristotle said, “Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies”

I’d say that maybe it’s like a window or perhaps an open door.

Isn’t that kinda self-serving, though? That way, whatever I do for the other doesn’t have them in mind, but merely myself—I want to be happy, and since by dint of fate or whatever my happiness is shackled to theirs, that means I gotta make them happy. So their happiness just becomes a means for mine.