[QUOTE=Nanoda]
I mean, houses in Edmonton all have 2’ of cement foundation above grade, and even a mouse-sized hole means frigid drafts when it’s -30.
[/QUOTE]
A mouse can fit through a hole big enough to accommodate its skull, which is pretty small.
I went around my foundation and used an expanding foam spray to seal up any holes. Definitely worth your time once the spring thaw comes.
[QUOTE=t-bonham@scc.net]
Or, like Q.E.D. said, get a cat. They are cheaper than exterminators, and continue to be effective against mice as long as they live in the house.
[/QUOTE]
Or a snake. Friend of a friend had mice, and a pet snake. Snake got loose and crawled into the walls. Stayed there for about a month, then come slithering out none the worse for wear. Mouse problem was evidently solved - doubt the snake ate them all, more likely they came to the group decision that He Who Crawls Between The Walls is a vengeful god and it was time to infest the neighbors instead.
[QUOTE=Throatwarbler Mangrove]
Clean up the stove, mice like to hide in those and it’s a nightmare to get them out.
[/QUOTE]
And they have been known to gnaw at the electrics inside, get electrocuted, and then create a foul burning stench every time the cooker is used, until it is removed for replacement, at which point the mouse briquette can barely be identified. Ick.
[QUOTE=CookingWithGas]
A mouse can fit through a hole big enough to accommodate its skull, which is pretty small.
[/QUOTE]
Yep, I’ve often heard it said that a mouse can fit through any hole which can accommodate a Bic ball-point. I have no idea how accurate this is, but it’s probably not far off.
**Nanoda ** - bear in mind that if a wall has a hole in the inside and outside, connected by a long winding narrow space (or with some burrowable insulation between), it will not necessarily be obvious to anyone but the mice that there is a mouse highway leading into your home.
[QUOTE=Throatwarbler Mangrove]
These bait stations were placed near heater pipes
[/QUOTE]
Again, no cite but I believe this is the explanation for your dust & fluff - mice corpses are small and near a constant source of dry heat with good airflow will probably turn into a furry strip of beef jerky pretty fast.
I have 8 or so glue traps as “monitoring devices” in my attic, basement, utility room, etc. Initially I caught one. Haven’t caught one nor seen evidence of rodents, but I like the idea of constant surveillance.
(to those who say glue traps are inhumane, I agree but use them anyway.)