How do you pronounce "coupon"?

Five exceptionally long months.

I’m a… lowper? But yeh, at least my family pronounces it cue-pon.

Sorry for the spanish speaking folk. I didn’t think about “que” coming across as “kay”.

Gah! Well then, I guess I’ll have to fire up the porcupine poll.

Coo-pon but grew up saying it the other way.

That long ago? :smack: Would have sworn I did that one this year.

Both ways. And the Ron White way, too. What can I say? I like having options.

On découpe les coupons.

Better make a poll for DATA: DAY-tah vs DAH-tah.
~VOW

I probably use both equally. I think I grew up with Q-pon, but these days it seems I’m just as likely to say coo-pon. I did not vote.

I grew up hearing “cue- pon” or “cue-p’n,” but two things happened in high school: This one time, at band camp…

Wait, no, that’s a different revelation…

Actually, I took a couple of years of French, plus my journalism advisor had a real issue with the “cue” pronunciation. She explained her reasoning, and it clicked with me. So I’ve sounded .01% less redneck since 1986. (Just don’t ask me to pronounce “eight” more than once or twice in sequence. I once recorded an answering machine message for a number something like 888-898-8854. I sounded like Gomer freaking Pyle by the time I hit that final 8.)

Oh man, I would, but I’m learning these polls are really Hydras of unending nuance.

Suffice it to say, I prefer DA-tuh (ˈda-tə). Saying it the other way, I feel like I’m imitating Picard.

Tea. Earl Grey. HOT!

coo-pon. Raised in central Pennsylvania, where I think “cue-pon” is more common, but somehow I seem to have escaped most of the central-PA vagaries of speech. For example I don’t warsh the dishes, and when I do something immediately I don’t do it “rate” away.

And then “the data shows” vs “the data show”… the latter is grammatically correct since the word is plural, but I always feel pretentious when I treat it as such. The former just sounds right even though I know it isn’t.

It’s always been DAY-tuh (well, more like DAY-duh, with an intervocalic flap. I’m typing from my phone, so too lazy to IPA.) to me, since the 80s and my BASIC programming days.

DAY-tuh is correct, it’s the plural of datum (DAY-tum). The other way sounds juvenile (momma! data!).

Um, what? Datum is Daytum? I swear I missed a memo. I believe in my youth it was always dah-ta and dah-tum. Did it all change with databases becoming more prevalent? And more to the point, do I date (daht?) myself by saying dah-ta?

Growing up in West Texas, I said “coo-pon” as did most people in that area, and I still do. My California father also said “coo-pon.” But I remember my Arkansas mother always saing “que-pon.”

I say coo-pon, and cue-pon sayers drive me a bit crazy.