How do you pronounce particular?

So how does Obama say it?

par-tick-yu-lar with the stress on the second syllable.

Par-tick-yu-ler

And while I know that that not pronouncing the “y” sound (“par-tick-oo-lar”) is a perfectly acceptable and comprehensible variation, it’s like nails on a chalkboard for me. It’s a completely irrational reaction, but it’s just a really grating sound.

Moved MPSIMS --> IMHO.

Because that’s where threads of this par-tic-u-lar type go.

I missed the important part of the OP:

To be honest, I tend to think of “par-tick-ler” as a Black pronunciation. It wouldn’t surprise me if it were part of AAVE.

If this is a Chicago pronunciation, I haven’t noticed it from anyone I know from that area.

Pɑr tɪk yu lɵr, pɑr tɪk yə lɵr, pɑr tɪk yə lər, or pər tɪk yə lər, depending how precise I’m being when I’m speaking. Usually the last, I’ll be honest.

However, despite it being there when I’m speaking, no matter how lazy my pronunciation gets, dropping the y-started syllable doesn’t much bother me - I have a real hard time saying it, but it’s not that weird to hear. (FTR, I didn’t really have issue with Bush’s pronunciation of nuclear, either.)

UGH! I wanted to punch him in the face every time he said it.

depending on accent ,

the british would say PA-TTY-C-U-L-E

That should be ju and jə. I was so concerned with getting the vowels right, I forgot to make sure I was using the right characters for the consonants. :smack:

With my accent, it usually sounds like per-tick-yu-ler.