How do you respond to "you have no sense of humor"?

• Yes, but I have a lease, with an option to buy.
        ~

“You have no sense of humor.”
“Oh yeah? Knock knock.”
“Who’s there?”
“Eat me.”

i usually just grab the nearest object, pretend it’s a top hat, so an exagerrated soft shoe routine in which i spill their drink, knock them over, destroy their desk, etc, give it the old one-kneed hat-and-cane-to-the-sides finale, then laugh as obnoxiously as i can for about 3 minutes.

when others around us laugh, i just give the look that says “see? i’m funny.” and walk away.

You know, I don’t think I’ve ever been accused of not having a sense of humor.

Him: You have no sense of humor.

You: You simply have no sense.

That’s not very good. How 'bout:

Him: You have no sense of humor.

You: You have an extraordinarily small dick.

You have no sense of humour

[ol]
[li]Fuck you! <punch him in the face>[/li][li]What do you mean? <serious look w/ eye contact>[/li][li]My mom says I do.[/li][li]Goooood… can we end this conversation now?[/li][li]Yeah, I know. I lost in in a card game in Vegas back in '93.[/li][/ol]

“You have no sense of humo(u)r!”
“And you have no sense whatsoever.” OR “Yes, and that’s why our boss gave me a raise, and not you.”

“I’m only joking! Ease up!”
“Well, do you see anyone laughing?”

You have no sense of humor:

1. You don’t swallow.

2. (looking out the window) someone just hit your car…madeja look!

3. My mother said that to me once…once.

4. I’m sorry you had a terrible childhood.

Ironically, I laugh at them.

Recent example; he IMed me and said I had no sense of humor. Uh huh…

You have no sense of humor.
No. But I can see dead people.

That or kick’em in the groin.

I know, I lost it when I sold my soul to Satan.

[you set person on fire, after they scream in agony for a bit you put the fire out then say]
I guess you’re right, that wasn’t funny at all.

“Okay then” and stare at him until he’s really uncomfortable.

I don’t think it matters what you say, so long as you impersonate the South Park school bus driver when you do it.

I’m with QuickSilver. Shrug it off. Don’t even respond. Just walk away. No offense to the fine people who have chipped in, but most of those responses will just egg him on. Some of them may get you fired in the long (or short) run, depending on circumstances.

Just do an about face before he even gets to the “no sense of humor” part.

your problem is you think you do.

When someone hounds you like that, it’s not joking, it’s agression. Call 'em on it. When they say, “I was only joking!” say “No you’re not!” or “Like hell you were!” If you point out that they’re not joking, they might just back off.

Holy carp, I was acutally in the same situation once.

I had a boss say very mean things to me in a “joking” way. And when I would react like I didn’t appreciate what he said, he’d come back with the whole “I was kidding” bit. “Lighten up.”

So for two weeks, I wrote down each offensive thing he said, and what he said when he tried to blow it off as “kidding.”

I ended up having at least 10 instances in my little notebook.

Then, one day, when he said something offensive, and then blew it off with “Man, I was kidding,” I responded with “Hmm.” Then I took the notebook out in front of him, and pretended to write something.

He said, “What’s that?” I said, “It’s me laughing.” He didn’t say anthing to me for a couple of days, and after that, he never fucked with me again.
(The reason I did the notebook thing on the sly for a couple weeks beforehand was in case he freaked out and went to HR with some trumped up thing about me in order to cut me off at the pass. Then I could counter with actual evidence against him. Always CYA, IMO)
Happy

A nice spit-take oughtta do the trick.

I’m going to have to say that this is the best one.

I agree that this advice is terrible! But it really cheered me up a lot.

QuickSilver totally nailed the situation. I used to think I was stuck with this guy for a boss so I put up with a lot and I tried to be a sport. It actually did serve it’s purpose for a while there. It helped me to get through the day at first to just try to have as pleasant a working relationship as I could, but next thing you know it was bonding. At first bonding with the guy had the payoff that I learned a lot of inside stuff about the job and became really good and got the scoops to help me find a place for myself and all that. Yeah he was a dysfunctional jerk, but I thought I could take it. Eventually he crossed the line into toxic manipulator. I distanced myself, and for a few months everything was cool. He was sort of out of my life and without me to bounce things off, his weaknesses started to show. But then we came to a transition time, and got forced together again, and I am on the rise and he is on the downslide, so the dynamic is crazy. He is comfortable enough to needle me. I used to be comfortable enough to give as good as I got, but I’m way past that now and my initial efforts to put the distance back in the relationship backfired because he is so insecure right now that he notices if you avoid him. So every day it is a delicate balance of him acting like we’re buddies when he really hates me, and me trying to rise above it.

I was really looking for a specific technique I remember reading about that diffused that “I’m just kidding” line without making it worse. But it helps my morale reading this thread. It’s nice to know that everyone deals with someone like this in their lives.

I am so tempted to just print out this thread and put it by my keyboard and go through it line by line every time he says I’m just kidding and expose him to the whole rainbow of smart-assery. All the many shades of “fuck you, dickhead” seem to be represented here.