How does exercise make you feel?

After I walk, my body feels recharged and my mind resets from whatever state it was previously in.

After I do yoga, I feel more compassionate and nicer towards people.

See, my answers are weirder than everyone else’s. :slight_smile:

Amazing.

I’m not sure how I would have made it thought the last year without it. It was the only therapy I used or needed through a particularly rough time. I’m sure the alternative would have been self-harmful.

Also, it make me feel like a little bit of a badass. I’m not, mind you. And sometimes I feel like badass who is about to puke. But I still find thinking about it that way to be motivating.

Yeah, me either. Can someone please explain this?

I tried a workout regimen for several months. I felt worse. “Terrible” would describe it. Never got that extra energy or high that others seem to swear by. Gave it up.

I will say that back when I was riding bikes all over Albuquerque and Honolulu including the annual 100-mile ride on Oahu that I did feel great. But stationary bicycles just didn’t do it. My exercise these days consists mainly of always walking up to our 6th-floor condo.

Not weird I think each exercise has it’s own effect (and despite my ipod’s insistence that I burn 400 or so calories walking eveyday I still refuse to accept it as an exercise, I get a feeling similar to what you’ve described though)

Just a WAG here but maybe these people felt “ashamed” after working out upon realizing just how out-of-shape they were.

Or perhaps they’re so out of shape that they consider masturbation a workout. And by ‘out of shape’ I mean ‘Catholic.’

That’s kind of harsh, Ambi. I occasionally feel ashamed after I do yoga, but it has nothing to do with being out-of-shape and everything to do with feeling embarrassed about my performance in relation to other people’s.

Well this isn’t a fair comparison any way. Yoga isn’t really a ‘workout’ (or it isn’t supposed to be). And I wasn’t saying anything that was my opinion, just speculating as to what those who said they felt “ashamed” after working out might have been referring to. When/if they speak up for themselves, we can know for certain.

Exercising is performance, though. Whether you are lifting weights or running a marathon or doing yoga. Anything that requires you to perform is bound to generate feelings of self-consciousness and embarrassment. Or shame. I don’t understand why this is so mysterious.

Monstro Well why would you feel self concious? or embarrassed? so you came 200th in a marathon, some people at work haven’t exercised once in the last decade. Even when I spar or fight and lose, I still have a good time, so my opponent was slightly better than me this or completely demolished me, I can learn, perform better, maybe beat them next time. No reason to feel ashamed or embarrassed.

If a person has cause to feel pride in what they do, they have cause to feel disappointed in themselves as well. You can’t have one and decide you just aren’t going to feel the other. Feelings are biological reactions. They are neither right or wrong.

It’s like when I walk. 99% of the time, I walk just fine. But then there’s that inevitable moment I stumble and fall right on my ass. Maybe Jesus Christ can get up on his feet and laugh at himself, and maybe I can too if no one sees me and I’m in a good mood. But if a schoolbus full of middle schoolers see me and start pointing at me, then, yeah, I might feel a little flushy in the cheeks. That doesn’t make me irrational or weak. It makes me a normal person (I think. I’m never 100% sure).

I am not one of the people who responded with “ashamed”, so I don’t even know why I’m talking about this!

I agree with you, except for the ‘shame’ part. I frequently feel self-conscious or weak or slow. It never makes me feel shameful.

Maybe I’m the weirdo for not feeling any of those! (and still feeling proud - to the point of boasting- when I do well)

I usually feel like shit for about the first 10 minutes or the first couple of sets. Uncomfortable as the first sweat pops out and thinking of excuses to cut things short and head home.

Eventually I cross a threshold and begin to feel invigorated. Mildly proud of my (slow) progress, unless it’s the first workout after a period of slacking. By the time I leave, I’m drenched, energetic, and my mood is elevated for at least an hour or two afterward.

I’ll never be in better shape than, or lift as much as, many of the other regulars at my gym, but I do claim a degree of satisfaction for not being the worst.

Yes, exercise is a performance which has it’s strength totally dependent on the fitness level of the participant. Meaning a person who is out-of-shape would possibly be met with feelings of despair, hopelessness and shame when experiencing and realizing the true extent of their own sloth.

I guess it’s the mindset. When I started ice skating with my sister we always had a good laugh whenever I would fall. As we both got better we got competitive, who could jump higher, spin for longer, go faster etc. Even in that competitive state we’d still laugh at each other when we feel and be in a good mood about afterwards. But then some people get really embarassed when they fall and even walk out of the arena (especially the older people). So I think it really depends on what mindset you have when going in.

Whether yoga is “supposed” to feel like a workout depends on the style. Some styles are more about breathing and stretching, but there are others that intentionally work your muscles or give you more of a cardio workout.

Anyway, as far as how I feel afterwards, I agree with monstro that it feels like a reset of my mind, and that yoga makes me feel more compassionate towards others. The effect doesn’t last as long as I’d like, but if I was irate about something before working out, I usually stop caring once I’m done exercising and feel calmer. Sometimes I even feel like I have more energy. Now during exercising, I usually can’t wait until it’s finished because I’m bored (usually when I’m on the treadmill with nothing on the tv).

I think it depends on what it is you’re doing AND your mindset.

No one on the face of the earth is always going to laugh and feel good after doing something they totally suck at. No matter how detached you are from what you are doing, it is simply not fun always being the person at the end of the pack. Or always losing in the jumping/spinning/speed competitions. If you aren’t achieving any successes and it’s bothering you, the best course of action is to do something different. Not keep at it in hopes that your “mind” will change.

Exercise tests your nerve as well as building your fitness, but the two things have to be balanced for it to be sustainable.