How does exercise make you feel?

Yeah, that shit is not yoga.

I’ve always thought that, if someone else has achieved it, so can I. And so far the motto has served me well. Sure you fall, and lose at the beginning but it doesn’t detract from the fun of the competition or the fun of the activity. I enjoy riding a go kart, doesn’t matter if I win or lose, it’s still enjoyable. I enjoy winning too, but losing’s ok. I actually don’t enjoy activities where I win all the time, there’s no challenge. I can stand being the worst for a few months until I get the hang of it. Like I said:** I am a weirdo** :smiley:

Have you ever done yoga?

With people like you hanging around gyms, no wonder there are folks that associate exercising with negative feelings.

The only exercise I do is walk for medium-to-long distances, at a medium-to-leisurely pace. I’m probably not getting a lot of benefit out of it, but it’s better than nothing.

I feel fine afterwards, but the older I get the more unexpected aches and twinges start to manifest.

I didn’t answer “ashamed”, but it’s not an unfamiliar emotion associated with exercise for me. Mostly it’s not because I’m ashamed of my unathleticism, it’s because I’m certain that other people are judging me for my unathleticism. I try to tell myself that that sort of self-consciousness is just ego, and I should let it go, because chances are that they’re too busy worrying about their own workout to even notice me. But I haven’t been able to convince myself of that.

But even when I’m entirely alone, I get, to use the word I used initially, teary. There’s no reason for it, there’s nothing I’m teary about, I just feel like I’m going to burst into tears. I just feel overwhelmed with melancholy.

And then I start feeling guilty and frustrated about that, because I understand that many many people feel exhilarated, empowered, etc. when they exercise, and they’re fond of telling me that if I just “push through” and “keep at it” I’ll feel that exhilaration too. Not me. Not ever. I didn’t enjoy exercise when I was young and fit and able, either (which is probably how/why I got unfit in the first place).

I exercise because I don’t like this body and I don’t want to end up with diabetes. It’s an unpleasant chore I do anyway, like washing the dishes so I don’t get smells and bugs in my kitchen.

Horrible. I hate it. Where are all these endorphins I’m supposed to get?

Completely depends on the kind of exercise, and also on where and how I’m doing it. I don’t go to a gym but I bike (usually travel this way), run, do some bodyweight exercises, lift free weights and do yoga, and swim whenever I can.

I don’t tolerate heat/humidity very well, and running any distance usually makes me feel like exhausted crap after no matter the weather. Other exercise will make me feel fantastic and full of energy some days, tired out others. I also work a pretty physical job, as well as biking 15+ miles many days for transportation, and I need to take special care to eat well (and lots of protein!) in order to feel good after working out.

Exercise doesn’t feel like a performance to me because with the exception of biking to get places, I mostly do it completely alone.

I feel relieved that I’m done for the day. Not that I don’t enjoy doing it - I look forward to going every day.

I usually feel pretty awake when I’m done, so I often try to do something productive around the house like the dishes or watering the plants. But by the time I get dinner and a shower I am seriously relaxed.

I used to be very self-conscious all the time. I would worry about how people would react if I did something and would be annoyed for days when I did something stupid. I’ve since adopted the philosophy: “We would worry less about what others think of us if we realized how seldom they do.” and now have progressed to not caring, if you think I’m stupid because I can’t bench whatever it is you can, fair enough, you’re free to think whatever you want. Maybe it’s just the general state of apathy I seem to have nowadays shrugs shoulders.

This.

My mother is an advanced Iyengar instructor who has spent the past three summers in India. Yes, I have.

And I have no idea what your second remark is supposed to mean. :confused:

I have a sense of accomplishment and light euphoria when I finish. It always makes me feel good.

I can be a pretty awkward person, but somehow exercise is one of the few things that doesn’t make me self-conscious.

I love the freedom and privacy of the gym- If i want to push myself on the elliptical until I’m a quivering ball of sweat, I can do that. If I want to sit on a bike and read a copy of People for an hour, I can do that. If I want to lift a few weights and then walk off- nobody cares. If I want to sit in the back trying to keep up with this crazy class or that crazy class, it’s all on me. Why not take a Bhangra class? Why not try water aerobics? Or maybe today we just want to hang out in the sauna. As long as I wipe my machines and don’t slam the weights, nobody in the entire gym gives a fig what I do or what my personal fitness routine is. Everyone is wrapped up in their own activities and goals that they don’t even notice as I buzz around doing whatever the hell I want for an hour. It’s a great way to get in some “me” time.

I’ve gone through phases of working out 4 times a week (doing a combination of running, biking, various cardio classes like Zumba, weights, hiking, etc) and phases of just barely getting off my ass once a week to take a stroll around the block.

I’ve never felt the high, endorphins, awesome-good-yay-for-me feelings. Never. I wish I could, but instead working out is something that seriously sucks and that I need to get done for my health. I motivate myself by thinking about how much I don’t want to have a huge ass.

While I’m doing it I try to forget I’m doing it by listening to a podcast or loud music. When I’m done I think “thank the christ that shit is done for today.”

Injured.

Depends on what I do. Running more than a few km just makes me feel tired, a bit shaky afterward, and it’s boring while I’m doing it. Doing sprints, even repeats that add up to a couple of km makes me a bit hyped once I recover, though I’m also a bit tired. Weight lifting makes me feel strong and tight. Gymnastics and stretching makes me feel loose, but integrated and controlled. Martial arts makes me focused and adrenalized, as does shooting or archery. Rock climbing is a combination between gymnastics and martial arts, unless I peel off a hold and take a significant fall. Then, I’m too adrenalized for a minute or two. I like to exercise because I like to do some physical things well. I do not feel “high” or anything like that from it.

If you treat exercise like a necessary chore, you’ll hate it, and you’ll hate the associated feelings. I don’t place any moral value on exercise, which is why I don’t feel “virtuous” or “healthy” after exercising.

If you’re exercising to lose weight, do yourself a favor and address your diet first. What you eat, and to a lesser extent how much you eat, is about 80% of what affects your body composition. Exercise helps, but if you expect to “afford” the junk food because you’re sweating for an hour or two every couple of days, you’re just making yourself miserable. And fat despite the exercise.

Instead, find something physical you like to do and do it in order to improve your quality of life, be able to move well even when you’re older, keep up with your kids, etc. Don’t exercise because you feel like you have to, find something that you actually like to do that has exercise as a byproduct of doing it. Or, apply a different viewpoint to your exercise, so that you want to excel at an aspect of your workout.

Miserable, depressed, teary, irritable.

Your posts are comically judgmental and presumptuous. Do you really not see this?

Yep. Whatever good tired is, everyone I know understands when I say “the good kind of tired.”

It sucks that exercise makes me feel better. My theory is that we all have to feel a certain amount of bad and exercising using that up for a while.

I do get the runner’s high and I can almost pinpoint the moment when it kicks in—it’s almost always between 1-1/2 and 2 miles. I agree with the *good tired *and rejuvenated comments, although when I have a bad run I am often frustrated with myself. For some reason, it takes a lot for me to remember that bad run is better than no run.