How Does One Get a Teaching Certificate in Illinois?

I have a bachelor’s degree from a private college (it’s accredited) outside of Illinois. I can provide transcripts when the time comes. Where do I need to go and what paperwork do I need to fill out?

I’m not in Illinois, but many states have similar requirements…

In addition to your bachelor’s degree, you’ll need to take some classes in education- teaching methods, law, that sort of thing. And you’ll need to do supervised student teaching.

So you’ll need to go back to college for a bit. The college of your choice can give you the specifics of what courses will be required.

Some states have ‘emergency certification’ programs that would allow you to temporarily bypass the classes, but you’ll be expected to go back to school and take them within a certain amount of time. The education department of your Friendly Neighborhood College could probably tell you what Illinois’s system is like.

Most public universities and many private ones will offer post-bachelor’s teacher certification classes. More information can be found at the Illinois State Board of Education site.