[QUOTE=bouv]
I’m currently in grad school for engineering, and the general process for people in an engineering or “hard” science major (bio, chem, physics, etc…) is to design and run an experiment that proves something, discovers something, reinforces something, etc… in your field. It’s a long process, especially since the experiments never go right, and have to be done again, and again, and again, and again, etc…For a doctorate degree, the experiments and thesis/dissertation have to be even more involved and important.
But what about people getting a soclal science or arts degree? It just seems to me, as an outsider looking in, that there theses (is that the right plural?) can’t take nearly as much time or work. I mean, sure, if you’re an English major maybe you read all the book by a certain author and write a thesis on the underlying theme of <blank> during the <blankity> age, but to me that seems so much different from running an actual, factual, experiment and collecting data that I have a hard time seeing why it might take as much time to do.
So help me fight my ignorance and not look upon fine arts and social science degress as being worth less than mine. 
(I kid, I kid.)
[/QUOTE]
For my undergrad work, I wrote a dissertation (I was in an advanced program) that was about 300 pages long, although for presentation I cut it down to 100 pages (which was *excruciating* since all of the 300+ pages was relevant, and most of it fairly vital. Believe me, you can enter uncharted territory in the liberal arts (mine dealt with a specific author's impact and representation of American white male masculinity in contrast with non-whites, non-Europeans, and everything in between; I think I ended up with about 16 racial/gender classes).
In many ways, because the non-"scientific" disciplines are open for a degree of interpretation, they become more complex. And, of course, any well-researched liberal/social arts thesis incorporates many areas of the more "hard" sciences - mine included demography, psychiatry/psychology, sexual physiology, statistics, economics, several others that I haven't got the energy to contemplate at the moment.
I've always thought of science as being an art because of the degree of interpretation required to fully grasp broad "scientific" principles (which are often, I think poetic in a way); similarly, when I've taught literature and poetry, I've always warned students that just because something is "creative" doesn't make it art (or even worth reading/looking at/listening to/thinking about).