How doI identify Dearborn area birds

I tossed a big old ham bone in my backyard for my beagles to munch on. When the beagles came in,a lot of birds jumped on the ham bone and pecked it apart.
My problem is I wonder what kinds of birds I have, so I tossed ripped up bread in the yard to observe them. Now then come around and even use the dogs bowl for a bird bath. It is fascinating to watch them. I have about 6 different types who visit regularly. The sparrows and blue jays are easy to identify, after that I can not tell. I went through the internets trying to find pictures of Detroit area birds. No luck. So where can I obtain pictures of birds for a specific area?

There are all sorts of field guides for identifying birds. You can find more general guides (“Birds of North America”) or more specific guides (“Birds of Southeast Michigan”). They’re the sort of thing that you can reliably find in your local library. I’m not aware of any really high quality online field guides. Here’s the best I could find with a quick google.

Thanks. One bird that came by a couple times has a small bright red beak. Another has a bright yellow beak. I am going to the library tomorrow. I guess I will look for a local bird guide.

Have you seen a grackle? They have a blue/green iridescent head, dark colored body and a bright yellow eye, and are the size/shape of a common starling.

I am sure I have about 20 of them coming around. There is a bird very similar in size and shape that is deep brown. The grackles fight over the water bowl.

Almost all the birds ate the ham. I was surprised by that. I would not want to pass out in my yard.

The best free online bird guide I know of is All About Birds. It’s for all of North America, but each listing has a range map that will tell you where it lives (and whether it lives near you.)

The brown ones might just be juvenile grackles.

The brown ones come in a group and the black ones come at a different time. Would that be std operating procedure for grackles. But I still have one that is not remarkable except it has a bright red beak. The other is a bright yellow beak.
Blue Jays are the largest birds I have seen yet. I thought crows were huge. Could that be the black ones?

I’d suggest starting out with a generic “backyard birds” guide rather than a “birds of Michigan” book, because with a few exceptions the common backyard birds are the same throughout the eastern United States. I don’t mean you should avoid looking at more comprehensive guides, but when you have a big list of all the birds in the region, it can be easy to mistake the common ones for kinds that don’t usually come to your yard.

Looking at your birds in particular:
An unremarkable bird with a red beak sounds like a female cardinal (picture of a female at the bottom).
A bird with a yellow beak is probably either a robin or a starling. Robins have red breasts of course, and they sprint everywhere they go. Starlings are glossy black all over and sway from side to side when they walk. They both like to hang out in large groups with each other.

You’re right that crows are huge; they’re about the size of a cat or a hawk, and much larger than a blue jay. Smaller black birds are probably starlings, grackles, or cowbirds.

Yep , I do apparently have starlings. But the yellow bill is not a robin, they are easy to identify.
Most of my backyard birdies jumped into the ham destruction. That surprised me. I could see a big crow doing it, or a raven. But they have not even dropped by for bread, water or a bath. I do see where the “dirty bird” expression comes from. They muddy up the dog water bowl pretty quickly.

Also living in Southeast Michigan, I think I can confidently say that the most common backyard visitors are house sparrows, starlings, pigeons, and robins.

Other fairly common species are blue jays, cardinals, crows, cowbirds, and grackles (already mentioned), as well as house finches, goldfinches, and mourning doves. Chickadees and juncos are also common, although moreso in the winter.

Less common (but not all that rare) backyard visitors include nuthatches, red-winged blackbirds, catbirds, house wrens, chipping sparrows, cedar waxwings, and multiple woodpeckers. We get the occasional warbler through during migrating season, although we’re much closer to the Detroit River than gonzomax is, and we also have a pheasant family nearby.

In Hines Drive a few years ago ,I encountered a few wild turkeys. They were around for the whole summer, but the coyotes were craning around the bushes sizing them up. I suppose they ate them. It was a family of 4 when I first saw them. Gone now.

I got a bird ID book from the library. It does not identify my red beaked grackles. They are that size and shape. Nor does it find my yellow beakers who are the same size as grackles. I guess I have blackbirds and cowbirds visiting. Bluejay, cardinals and robins are easy to pick out.