How far do you live from your gym?

I can walk to it, most days. Except when it is raining or cold.

About 12’.

Oops. I was going to have a 1 to 2 miles category (which is actually the distance I am from my last gym) but I didn’t choose the right number of categories when making the poll. :smack:

I do have a Y about a mile away, but it isn’t open 24/7 and every time I’ve been there it has been overrun with kids. The gym 11 miles away is open 24/7 but is more adult oriented.

I belong to a 24 key card place. It’s less than a mile from our house, very convenient for before work workouts. And I’ll occasionally hit the one next to the office at lunch time, it’s about a mile and a half from work to that one.

As a person who’s worked out regularly for 25 years one thing I am sure of if your health club is not convenient you won’t go. It won’t happen, there’s always an excuse not to go. And I am just as guilty as anyone. I can’t tell you the number of times I rode past Bally’s and got off the bus, 'cause I saw the sign. If it hadn’t been on the way home from my job, I wouldn’t have gone.

I live about 2 miles from 2 different Bally’s. It takes me about 45 minutes to walk there. I walk unless it’s really cold, like below 20ºF (-7ºC)

Mere blocks! A nine minute walk!

No parking hassles. AND…I don’t have to shower/shave/dress at the gym.

The downside is that it’s a city rec center. Pool, weights, cardio machines…but not the quality of a really nice private gym.

So do I win for closest so far?

1.92 miles according to Mapquest.

You should go. It’s fun to stay there.

I put it is near where I work, because we have a small workout room at my job. I do most of my workouts here. The gym that I want to join is less than a mile from my house, but I haven’t been able to afford that yet.

Shoot, I just realized, I picked 2 to 5 miles, but there are two other gym facilities I used that are less than a mile from my front door. One is a spinning facility (nothing but bikes) and the other is another equally specialized place. For general workouts, that include weights rowing machine, treadmill, swimming, etc. that one is about 2 miles from home.

I currently live about 2 miles from my gym, but when I joined, I lived much farther away. This was just one of the perks of moving.

The closer the gym, the more likely I am to attend. Right now, the closest is a free one offered by the local Baptist church. According to Google maps, it’s 4.4 miles away. That’s only 6 minutes away by car, as I live “out in the country.”

.7 miles. I walk there as part of my warm-up.

I was going to join the Gold’s Gym that opened, but it is too far to walk and I can’t bear the idea of driving to a place in order to exercise. :smack:

Regards,
Shodan

Shodan, If you do join Gold’s, make sure you get feedback from current members on the place first. I was thrilled with the Gold’s that opened where I live - top of the line equipment, spacious facility, tons of TV’s and a great ab area. But…after a year, they lowered prices and tons of…“miscreants” came in at a bargain $30/month. Far too crowded, dirty, and poorly managed now. But if it seems well managed, don’t hesitate. The facilities are fantastic (and franchised, so management can vary widely).

Mine is in the basement of my workplace, so it’s convenient even though it’s miles from home.

You beat me, but only by 6 floors. It probably depends on whose elevator is faster.

I am between 5 and 10 miles. My club has 4 racketball courts, an indoor pool, a running track, free weights and all kinds of machines, whirlpool and saunas. It costs about 40 a month. Oh yeah, 4 indoor tennis courts.
How much do other dopers spend on their clubs?

What? No option for "I don’t have a gym, I get my exercise by some other means.

Now ask me how often I go.

I’m bad. Since I moved a year and a half ago my gym is closer. But I don’t get there nearly as often.

Part of the reason is they moved a class I liked to Thursday morning instead of Tuesday evening. Stupid move. Almost everybody in that class is at their JOB on Thursday morning.

I should just quit, and save the money.