How happy could you be if you had to live the rest of your life in a holodeck? (Think Star Trek)

If I were aware of the falsity of the situation I could not be happy with it.

That would make for an interesting tweak on the OP’s scenario… given that Star Trek has transporters, it would be trivial to transport you into a holodeck running a simulation that starts with your intended destination. You would have to catch some glitch in the programming to detect your new few fate, and they could even cover for that by telling you that a transporter malfunction might cause you to experience minor memory lapses, hallucinations and/or paranoia.

To me, it’s a little like going to Disneyland. Sure, it’s all “fake.” But I have a great time there anyway!

How much fun would you have if you knew you could NEVER leave the Magic Kingdom ™?

Not only do we have the Transporter + Matrix, we quickly enter the realm of “Forever is a really, really long* time”.

• and some of us realize that, for us at least, it is the ultimate nightmare from which you can never escape.

As long as Jessica Rabbit were there, I’d have a great deal of fun.

An unlimited Magic Kingdom? With not only everything I can imagine, but with a Star Trek computer making up adventures for me?

Agreed: I do want an exit clause. When things get boring enough, unplug me.

Grin! Agreement!

Have you ever seen Jessica Rabbit naked? You’re going to be really, really annoyed when it turns out she is as anatomically correct as Barbie ™, aren’t you?
And now you’ve already signed on for Forever!
Bwa-ha-ha-ha! Fool!

But this is The Twilight Zone.

Once you successfully escaped and returned home, you’re greeted by a note from your wife and kids explaining the great holodeck offer which they’ve happily accepted.

A Star Trek inside a Twilight Zone?? Woah.

My point is that, if I accepted living in the holodeck, I would be abandoning my kids and my wife. That my wife might choose differently is irrelevant. (And she wouldn’t desert the kids to be a lotus-eater anyway.)

But I love Twilight Zone irony. Sorry.

I have a cookbook with your name on it.:slight_smile:

In that case, no. Abandoning reality for a sock-puppet world where you’re essentially wanking and talking to yourself sounds like one version of Hell.

Is there a choice? If you’re doomed to live out your days in one then you really have no choice but to find happiness there or else just sit and be sad or hang yourself.

But, **Trinopus **is as anatomically correct as Ken ™, so there’s no compatibility problem. :smiley:

Or work to escape. Anyway, the presence of the simulacra of my family is my biggest objection.

Another entry for “You Know You’re Getting Old When”:

The option to live in absolute pleasure ETERNALLY scares the Hell out of you.

Yes kids, if you are so “lucky” as to live a really long life, you too will come to this conclusion.

And I and every last person who has ever drawn a single breath* will be waiting for you.

• and: if you really believe that an embryo is a Human for this purpose, you’ll need to watch where you step.

So don’t program them in.

We go to bed, turn back-to-back, rub butts, and read. All cozy.