How heavy a person can lie on top of another person

Ha, so, question about cuddling, sex and whatnot (where else would it go than in GQ, the fighters of ignorance): Usually in cuddling and sex (i.e., missionary position,) the partner on top would support their weight with their elbows so as to prevent the full weight from pressing down on the partner below. But there are also folks who like to just squash the partner beneath with full weight and all.

So from an anatomy and physiology standpoint, where is the threshold in this, in terms of how much weight can be supported? Two 130-pound partners might be totally OK, but if a 200-lb person lies on top of a 100-pounder, full weight and all, isn’t that going to cause some sort of internal damage? The human body is 65% water, after all, and when you squish weight down on a bag of water, the water is non-compressible and it simply transfers the pressure somewhere else within the body. I’m reminded of the story of the little girl who squeezed hamsters with her hands very hard because she liked seeing their eyes bulge out :eek:

Doesn’t seem like it would be a matter of ratio, either, because if a 300-pounder lies on top of a 300-pounder, the one on the bottom might be headed towards a coroner autopsy afterwards, even though that’s just a 1:1 ratio like a hundred-pounder lying on top of a hundred-pounder.

(Not a need answer fast) :smiley:

As a big guy, with a bit of a belly…

I tend not to just “lay on” my partner. I tend to assume a more of a kneeling posture to keep much of my weight on my knees. IME some women can take the weight, some cannot, if I am going to shift forward I do my best to keep as much weight off of her as possible with my arms either on the mattress or hands against the wall.

Purely GQ answer…

Drachillix currently 356 pounds current partner around 225

The weight of a person lying on another person is fairly evenly distributed across the body below. When I was young we used play pile on (while what happens in American football) and five or six kids (say 80lbs/kid x 6 kids = 480 lbs) easily supported by the one below. Water is non-compressible (for the most part), but the organs in the body are. In extreme cases of body crushing, the intestines can burst out the of the anus.

Serious injury or death by crushing is usually caused by a lung puncture if a rib breaks or lung collapse, where the person/animal is unable expand their lungs/chest to bring in new air. Weight in this case isn’t the only factor in this case. If you exhale and you’re placed below something that pushes down on your ribcage enough that you can’t fully expand your lungs, you’ll eventually suffocate because you can’t replace enough air in your lungs.