How hot is too hot for the core temperature of a laptop

I have an Asus Vivobook laptop, less than 1 year old. I use an app called CoreTemp to monitor the internal vitals. I have no idea how accurate this app is, but it frequently shows my laptop at 70 or more degrees Celsius (today, it hit 85 Celsius) and that’s without my playing games. I think it was the process of loading multiple website browsers that made it get so hot.

Given that a laptop has much less space inside than a desktop, is 85 C on the verge of cooking it? The laptop never shut down or anything (are they supposed to shut themselves down if the temperature exceeds a certain mark?)

Laptops do tend to run a bit hot, just because they cram so much stuff into such a tiny space. Some brands of laptops just run hotter than others though. I have no idea if your model of laptop is one of those that tends to run a bit hotter than the average or not.

If it is consistently going above 60 deg C and staying there, that would have me concerned. A short peak at 60 deg C isn’t uncommon in laptops, and if it was just a short peak during heavy use that wouldn’t bother me too much. Hovering around 70 and peaking in the 80s is definitely too hot.

If you have a fan monitor, make sure the CPU fan is spinning.

It also might be a good idea to get a can of compressed air to blow the dust out of the inside of the laptop. Most laptops have vent holes somewhere close to the CPU.

Usually there is a setting in the BIOS for the thermal shutdown temperature. Exactly what this should be set to depends on the specific CPU you have installed. Most mobile Intel processors have a max temperature of 100 deg C. Note that this is the temperature at which the CPU will cook itself to death fairly quickly. For long term reliability, you are going to want to keep it a lot cooler than that. I’d probably set the BIOS shutdown temp at somewhere around 80 to 90 deg C.

My Surface shuts itself down at 100 deg F, sometimes right in th

:slight_smile: Heh. That often happened here on the SDMB in summertime.

My old Core Duo used to occasionally shut down because of overheating. Took several years to start doing it, though. I turned the CPU down to stop it. It was very obvious when it was about to happen because of the fan suddenly, and loudly, going to an absurdly high speed.

CoreTemp displays the temperature inside the CPU chip, not the ambient temperature in the air space within the laptop case. I can’t say for sure that all chips have similar specs, but for a couple of SoC chips that I’m familiar with, 70-80 C would not be considered a dangerously high temperature.

It depends on the CPU. Mobile processors are designed to tolerate much hotter temperatures than desktop processors. A current Intel Core-i5-8250U processor has a maximum temperature of 100 ˚C. This is typical for a laptop CPU. The CPU will automatically manage heat by adjusting clock speed and voltage.