How I'm saving money on gasoline

My Seca II is a 1994 model. I’ve found it to be the perfect bike for Los Hideous commuting. It’s quick, reliable, maneuverable, and comfortable. Top speed is a bit slow (I’ve only had it up to 125 mph, and it developed a shimmy; though it was quite stable for an extended period at 120 mph). I’ve dragged pegs many times in corners, which isn’t surprising because it’s not a sport bike. Still, it’s easily “flick-able”. It’s not a touring bike, but it’s comfortable enough. I’ve ridden it to Las Vegas (almst 300 miles), Lake Havasu (a similar distance), San Rafael (north of San Francisco; what is that? 600 miles?) and San Diego. It’s easy to ride 100 miles on it. After that it’s nice to stretch. Reliability has been good. It has never failed to run, although the chain snapped once when I had it adjusted too tight. “Lane sharing” (riding between lanes of traffic when the traffic is slow) is legal in California, and the Seca II is “just the right size” to make it through very comfortably. I feel sorry for the Harley drivers who get stuck in the tailbacks. (Zette! :smiley: )

Things to look out for: Like many Yamahas, it’s cold-blooded. It takes a little while to warm up when you start it for the first ride of the day. That’s just a quirk. The real problem is the lower crankcase bolt, which (I was told) doubles as an oil conduit. (I haven’t verified this; just something a mechanic mentioned to me.) The engine can be prone to leaks at the bolt if it’s ridden hard. I had the engine rebuilt at about 64,000 miles. It was still running strong, but there was an oil leak. (When I got the Porsche, the Yamaha sat for a while; and when I bought the Jeep it sat for a while longer. The main seal in the split case had to be replaced.) Since then engine had to be removed and partially disassembled anyway for the gasket, I decided I might as well have it rebuilt. Although power had been down a little, it was still a sprightly performer and I could have ridden it thousands and thousands more miles without a rebuild.

All in all it’s been a great bike, and it still is! Cheap to buy, cheap to ride, and a lot of fun.

“Friends don’t let friends ride Harleys!” Say, was that you not waving back? :smiley: :wink:

Hee hee hee! :smiley: Harleys may take an entire state to turn around, but they look good doing it! Me? I’d rather ride than look good! :wink: Anyway, I sold the Porsche because it wasn’t practical. I eschew Harleys for the same reason. The Yamaha is just a more practical ride for the type of riding I do and where I do it.

Montreal is:

1. the most expensive city to drive a car in Canada
  2. one of the cheapest cities for public transit in Canada.

I take good advantage of this fact.

Milwaukee isn’t a state, Coldie.

I think I’m missing the joke here . . . :confused:

Milwaukee got promoted to statehood? Cool.

BTW, the turning efficiency of a M/C (at speed) depends primarily on two factors: center of gravity, and mass of the front wheel. Ground clearance is a secondary consideration. I’ve ridden ricers who don’t understand gyroscopic precessioning into the ground. On Mullholland, up above the rock-house.

I’ve got to either remember to look at the posts when I preview, or take less time to post.

Pardon Coldie. As a European, his knowledge in political geography of the American Mid-west may be less than optimal.

Milwaukee was a reference to the place Harley Davidson motorcycles are built.

In my area, it’s 'cause the ones with the noticably lower prices have conditions. Like it must be paid in cash, while you’re standing on one foot, on days that begin with “M,” if you go in and wait in line with the teller, and buy another $X of store merchandise and pay for the carwash … otherwise, there are surcharges so the gas ends up being more expensive than the gas next door where you just drive up, stick the credit card in, and drive away.

I take this thread simply as more evidence that, someday, I should get a motorcycle. Although that’d be several years down the road…

Johnny, at the next Dopefest, I want to see your bike. I arrived too late at the last one to join in on the fun.

Yes it was, and thanks. I could tell you I just typed “state” where I should have said “city”, but the truth is that I really didn’t know. So hey, you learn something new everyday! :wink:

Thanks for the great info on the Yammie, JohnnyLA. I’ll be sure to take it into consideration when I’m going to check out my friends Diversion. 64,000 miles? And after the rebuild even more? That’s awesome for a motorbike. Given that this particular one has 26,000 km’s or 16,000 miles on it, I dare say the engine itself is probably in good condition. Again, thanks!

You’re welcome, Coldie. As with any used vehicle, you should have it checked out by a competent mechanic who is familiar with the type. I did the engine break-in period “by the book” (both times), and I’ve usually kept the revs well below red line. A bike that’s been ridden hard will probably not be in optimal condition. Have a mechanic do a compression check and a “leak-down” check on the cylinders. And you should ride it. I used to like the Suzuki GXSR-750 until I rode one. It felt as if I was perched up on a box, instead of being part of the bike. If you don’t like the ride, it doesn’t matter how many other people like it.

In other words, YMMV.

But my XJ-600 has been great.

For now, I’ll stick to riding the rattling Honda CB500 that is my training bike every saturday morning - but in due time, I’ll ride that XJ before I spend any money on it. :wink:

I don’t have a direct comparison, but I used to have a Honda CX-500 and I’ve ridden a CB-360T. The Seca II blew them both away. I was “behind the bike” for the first few rides. The first one gave me a definite tug on my arm sockets when I opened the throttle for the first time. The XJ-600 is not a “powerhouse”, but compared to what I had been riding before it was an eye-opener.

No matter what my next ride is, I’m keeping this one forever.

By the way (and in keeping with the OP) I drove the Jeep yesterday. I saw 29 mpg at a steady 60 mph (5 mph below the speed limit) on level ground at cruise on the freeway. (I have a computer in the console that measures such things.) Average mileage for my commute was a little over 21 mpg. The bike’s mileage is still better than twice as good! (But I missed my morning “alternative rock” music or National Public Radio’s Morning Edition.)

I see what Johnny needs now, he needs one of them new 1800 Goldwings for his music! :slight_smile:

Last night I was REALLY wishing it was leagle to lane share here in MD as the DC traffic was really backed up.

Oh and I’ve been told that the new wings are a great ride. I know at least 7-8 guys who have bought them. now if I only had the money for the Bandit.

You guys just thank your lucky stars you’re not paying the UK rate. Give or take, $5 US a gallon. Hmph.

Thursday my mileage was 56.1 mpg. Yesterday it was 54.87 mpg. Take that, all you greedy oil companies!

54.9 mpg today. Not bad.