How is an out-of-state-traveler quarantine enforced?

Some states are requiring those entering the state to quarantine for 14 days. Travelers generally have to fill out a form indicating where they’ll be quarantining or turn around and go home. I understand why states would want to do this, but I can’t imagine how they’re enforcing it. Is law enforcement going to each location a traveler indicates to check? Here’s one example.

Also, are there exemptions for people traveling to get critical medical treatment that can only be received from a hospital in the other state?

I would assume they’ll pull over every out of state plate they see and if you filled out your form less than two weeks ago and aren’t doing something approved, they’d…do whatever they do to people breaking quarantine.
They could also ID all passengers in cars that are pulled over and do the same thing.
As for pedestrians or other people that aren’t doing anything obviously illegal, I assume that would just fall under however the state’s Terry Stop rules work (or whatever it would be called if an officer just wants to ID a random person). Maybe they can’t do that at all.

Here in the US it’s going to end up being based on the honor system.

I agree. It would be of extremely dubious constitutionality to pull over someone just for having out of state plates. There are many reasons why a person could legally be out of state such that it does not give a police officer reasonable articulable suspicion of a violation of a law or the emergency declaration.

Does this mean that they are releasing prisoners on their own recognizance (without bond) or does it mean they are keeping them in jail?

I’m hearing about many people living in big cities that are moving into vacation properties or even moving in with rural relatives. They say their also has been an uptick in persons wanting to buy rural property.

Makes sense because throughout the midwest at least many rural areas have had no or few cases. What locals dont want is that to change because often small counties are served by small hospitals with say only 20 or so beds.

I’m watching Live PD right now and they were talking to either the chief of sheriff of a town in Rhode Island who stated that pulling over people with out of state plates is exactly what they’re doing. He did go on to say it’s the state police that are handling it and it sounds like they’re concentrating it just a few specific areas of the state.

If they are doing that, I imagine that groups like the ACLU are filing emergency petitions in federal court and these departments are in possible danger of damages suits. It is pretty plainly unconstitutional.

And that will take how long to go thru the courts?

Depends on the judge. A judge that wants to slowball it can schedule it for the first Tuesday of Neveruary and make it moot, and a judge that is intrigued by the question can schedule it soon.

Actually the ACLU on it’s site has said that under public health laws that is likely to be permissible.

Legal scholars agree that in a public heath emergency, judges would likely uphold it. However a lot of courts are closed and only seeing immediate criminal cases, delaying others.

The real legal quagmire will come when someone says cops are using the health crisis to harass a minority group.

Cite to where the ACLU says that police pulling someone over solely for out of state tags is likely to be found constitutional, please.

Given I don’t live in the US, I probably have no idea, but surely pulling someone over with a reasonable suspicion that they are violating a public health order would be enough? You might argue that is it only on the basis of licence plate, but that gets a bit thin in the current circumstances. I would assume that there is a reasonableness principle in enforcement. No?

I just looked at the ACLU web page. Firefox blocked a fingerprinter that attempted to create a unique tag for my visit. Kettle and pot.

Over on the island of Kauai, they’ve started arresting travelers for not doing it. Plus another one who could not provide an address where he would be staying or promise to find a hotel. They think he was just going to be homeless, so last I heard, he was being held pending shipment back to the mainland.

In Thailand, a large group of Thais returning on several flights raised such a ruckus at the Bangkok airport when told they would have to self-quarantine that now all flights into the country have been suspended for three days while authorities try to figure out how to handle this.

The Australian governments, and all the local mayors are strongly urging that not to happen here and telling the city folk to stay home. I can understand the logic of thinking that hiding in a remote shack or small town is much safer, but if coronavirus hits, then its very likely to be very ugly.

Not only is there going to be [if you are lucky] a small hospital within three hours drive, where the nearest thing to an ICU is the football team’s magic sponge, but the [typically] one doctor and two nurses are the most likely people to catch it straight away.

Anyone flleeing New York now is also a high risk of bringing the virus with them into the ‘safe lands’.

Texas has set up checkpoints, is turning back Louisiana drivers:

Florida’s governor has issued an executive order blocking vehicles from Louisiana and New York from entering the state.

Delaware has authorized law enforcement to stop cars with out-of-state plates.

That same site lists the many states requiring people coming in from out-of-state to quarantine, but I don’t know if they’re stopping vehicles.

The ACLU has this to say on its website:

It doesn’t sound like they’re about to challenge the checkpoints just yet.

There have been newspaper articles about that very situation.

In Vermont, the state police are making compliance checks at hotels to make sure they are not harboring out-of-staters. I’ve been watching THAT with great interest - as I had planned to be up there in late(ish) March to visit my daughter, and would have been caught in the quarantine period. It’s likely I’d have had to order an air mattress and stay on her living room floor for 2 weeks, which would have resulted in an uncounted Covid-related death :wink:

In all seriousness, had I needed to drive there and back, I don’t know if I’d have gotten pulled over along the way. I’d have been travelling for an allowable purpose (caring for a family member), but I suspect I’d have gotten pulled over in several states.

For people arriving in Taiwan from overseas, people must provide a cell phone number and then receive a text message before they are allowed in. The cell phones are monitored for compliance with quarantine.

Obviously this works better on an island but there are technical solutions available. Hong Kong is using wrist bands with IC chips from what I understand but I haven’t looked into that in-depth.

Newly arrived couple on Kauai arrested for not self-quarantining.

The man was from here on Oahu, but his companion was in from Virginia. They flew to Kauai last week, told officials where they were staying and were in turn told they had to self-quarantine in place for two weeks. The authorities watched them turn the opposite direction from where they were staying when they left the airport, so the police went and pulled them over, then informed them again of the self-quarantine rule. An hour later, they were seen at a grocery store still some ways from their lodging and finally arrested. Out on bail now but are facing up to a $5000 fine and/or a year in jail each. Idiots. Some people just cannot learn.

This is what they are doing in mainland China. You also have to load an ap on your phone that somehow communicates with the wrist band.