How Is Communism a Religion

I apologize. I have asked others to move to the other thread, but they keep responding here. I will not do so again.

Not “recommended,” so much as incidental. The supernatural beliefs in Buddhism are generally local, indigeonous cultural beliefs that predated Buddhism and became incorporated into it.

You don’t have to believe in reincarnation to be a Buddhist. Buddha himself said not to waste time worrying about such things.
The point remains that you can be a Buddhist without holding a single supernatural belief. Supernatiral beliefs are not a prerequisite for religion, and such a criterion doesn’t save communism from being a religion.

There are no gods in Buddhism.

You’re simply not understanding what you’re reading. What I quoted describes rebirth as going from one mind state to another within one lifetime. Another way to describe it is as “spiritual growth”. There is no “passing into other people when you die” in what you quoted.

I don’t think you understood that passage very well. It says nothing about what happens when youy die. It’s saying that consciousness within an individual is, metaphorically speaking, a constant sequence of “deaths” and “rebirths” rather than an unbroken continuum. That every state of consciousness is an individual “birth and death.” It’s metaphorical. It’s intended to be a subjective description of ordinary consciousness - a way to think about it - it’s not positing anything supernatural and has nothing to do with reincarnation.

Actually I think you two are the ones not understanding what you’re reading.

From x-ray’s link:

I don’t know how much clearer that link could make it. Apart from a few modern western “hippy” buddhists, rebirth is a real supernatural thing and not just a mode of thinking during the course of one lifetime.

Also here:

and here:

I’ve even bolded the relevant bits for you to make it even clearer. Note the “past-life” phrase in that last one to make it doubly clear for those not listening at the back.

Neither do I. What does “There is no transmigration of individual souls” mean to you?

This was explained to you in posts #123 and #124. Did you bother to click the links I posted in post #117?

Your sarcasm is so charming.

Buddha grew up in a culture with gods and never, AFAIK, expressed doubt as to their existence. But they’re not in Buddhism, i.e., Buddhist practice does not involve praying to them. In its original form, that is; later forms made effective gods of the Buddha and Bodhisattvas and many supernatural beings.

It means there is no concept of a soul in Buddhism. However something passes from one person to the next.

I don’t want to be unfair to you. It was me that originally and lazily mentioned the word “soul” and I was incorrect to do so. But the original question was whether there are any supernatural elements in Buddhism. You’re right about the soul thing but you seem to be maintaining that Buddhists believe that nothing passes between humans.

The soul concept would mean that the whole of me, mutantmoose, somehow passes into something else upon death but Buddhism is just saying that some of my thoughts, actions etc will pass into other beings (ie karma) and after my death some of my karma will live on in other creatures.

So I think that still counts as supernatural.

Yeah and they support the idea of supernatural elements eg:

I think that the idea that I am somehow “receiving” other people’s thoughts in some kind of telepathic communion is a bit supernatural.

As is the idea that my actions, thoughts and words are releasing spiritual energy to the universe.

Sorry. I didn’t mean to sound sarcastic.

Nothing supernatural.

Nothing supernatural in what you quoted.

No, not after your death- while you’re alive. Where in what I quoted or linked to did it say anything will happen after you die?

You’re reading in too much into the use of the word “thoughts”. There are no beliefs that are telepathic. The idea is that your thoughts will affect your actions and who you are in general which in turn affects others. This is more obvious when one reads what you quoted in context. Note the use of “action-influence”: