How is New Orleans holding up these days?

I caught an episode of Treme last night and it made me wonder how much New Orleans has recovered from Katrina etc.

Bazump.

I thought about chiming in when I first saw this thread, (I have flown down to New Orleans at least 15 times since Katrina) but the question is just too broad to have a single or simple answer.

Not trying to be snarky, but if you are in any way able to take a long weekend vacation in the next few months, please, by all means, go to New Orleans and check it out yourself.

The city is always eager for visitors, much less expensive than most other major American tourist-centric destinations, and frankly, one of the most (if not THE most) culturally significant places in North America.

Also, it features some of the best cuisine, music, architecture and history of any city on Earth.

New Orleans needs all of us to help in her struggle to rebuild, renew and ultimately rejoice in her success.

(If you can make it down sometime during the 1st couple of weeks in May, I will gladly by you a drink somewhere in the Quarter, one of America’s greatest architectural, historical and cultural treasures)

I also saw this when first posted, but hesitated to reply. I was there last month and had a wonderful time, but I mostly stayed in the French Quarter and Garden District. I did venture up to City Park also. I did see some signs that the hurricane had done some serious damage, but for the most part I couldn’t tell that there had been a major disaster there. Again, I only saw a small slice of the area. Great food, wonderful architecture, and a really nice city that I could see myself visiting again. I was lucky to have wonderful weather too.

Sounds great, a bit of a hike from Dublin, Ireland, for a weekend though.

Tourist areas look very good; I noticed during Mardi Gras (while standing on St. Charles Avenue) that even the live oaks are starting to look better. Some parts of the city, particularly the 9th Ward and other sections of New Orleans East, still have a good bit of need. There are remnant FEMA trailers and blue tarps in areas, even on the Westbank, which fared pretty well during the storm. But I second what others said, come visit us when you can!

I’ll be doing my part along with several thousand other librarians in June.

Was there last summer (why do my professional associations always want to have meetings in the US South in late July? Try to walk around NOLA in late July and you imagine, “so this is the last thing a steamed crab feels…”) and my observations coincide with Creole Tomato’s report. Great place but still a lot of work to do 5 years on.

Sounds Great! …

Going down again next week. Was also there in September and December.

The residential areas hardest hit still have a lot of homes marked for demolition, empty lots. Other than those, not bad. The tourist areas look great - Bourbon Street, St Charles Ave, Riverwalk, French Market area. I’ve heard the music isn’t what it used to be; that many musicians had relocated, particularly to Branson MO. It seemed to me the music was less than I expected, but I’ll be looking further afield this trip.

I hadn’t been to New Orleans before Katrina so I don’t have that to compare present NO to.

The only areas that didn’t recover are New Orleans East and the Lower Ninth Ward. New Orleans East had a lot of slummy neighborhoods and was already in a state of disrepair before Katrina. Most of the homeowners out there took the buyout from “Road Home” and went elsewhere. All of the apartment complexes along I-10 have either been demolished, or completely rebuilt. But it’s all right along I-10. Go a few blocks in either direction and all you’ll find is abandoned homes and empty lots.

The Lower Ninth Ward has a LOT of empty space now. The houses closest to the the Inner Harbor Navigation Canal were moved from their foundations when the levee broke. There’s some new (elevated) construction that was put up by a relief organization, but it’s surrounded by empty lots. As you go further down the road, there are more houses that were flooded and repaired, and demolished properties and empty homes.

As you get into St. Bernard Parish, most of the empty houses have been removed. The ones that remain are inhabited by the homeowners. St. Bernard is doing a “lot next door” program where you can buy the empty lot and expand your property.

Lakeview came back pretty quickly, but there is a lot of money there.

After Katrina, and then the massive oil spill in the Gulf, I really can’t complain about the economy. It hasn’t had much effect on me, other than stress.