How is stickiness measured?

You’d think this is something I’d remember from high school science classes - but I’m at a loss. How is stickiness measured? What units are used?

Google tells me that measuring stickiness is about how many people continue to hang out at your website after the first visit. I’m looking for the other kind of sticky, i.e. how strong of a force does it take to pull the old Elmer’s Glue apart, or yank your silverware off of a maple syrup covered plate. Now I realize that you might be able to use a friction coeffiecient or something along those lines - but that’s cheating. Plus, I don’t think that would work well to describe the differences between a gecko’s feet, adhesive tape, superglue, and fly paper. I would think there would have to be some kind of measurement or unit and “stickiosity” doesn’t seem to turn up an answer. Any thoughts?

My guess would be force required to overcome a given surface area. This is, of course, just stress but I don’t see why that wouldn’t work

It is measured in Tackyons, of course.

One tachyon is the amount of stickiness it takes to get a booger to stick to your finger.

Glad I could help.

Tris

http://www.scs.uiuc.edu/~che390/projects/Proj29.htm

Check it out

Thanks for the link, Andy. Apparently 3M bandages are measured for “peel strength” which is measured in amount of force necessary to break the bond. Maybe I’m out in left field, but you’d think there’d be some kind of unit of measurement for this, rather than the amount of pull in ounces which the adhesive bandage can withstand.

Boeing uses inch/pounds as a way of determing placard adhesion on aircraft. Inspectors use a spring pull tool that measures from 0 to 3 inch/pounds. A small flat blade in inserted behind the placard and the scale is pulled to .75 inch/pounds. The placard must remain stuck for a minimum of 5 seconds without disbonding.