How large are cell phones going to get?

I have a Galaxy Note with a 5.3 inch screen and got used to the size in the first few days.

The challenges with the Note is not really carrying around something with this size, it’s typing one handed. It’s possible using a slightly smaller on screen keyboard that is offset to one side, but it’s not a perfect solution. If some technology appears to help with that or voice input gets much better, I wouldn’t mind a slightly larger screen as i mostly use my phone as an internet device anyway. It’s rare I make an actual voice call.

I have one of these http://huawei.com.au/products-services/telstra-t-touch-tab/
My plan gives me $10 free call and text per month

I have had it over a year and a half.

Makes the Zoolander jokelook seriously dated, eh?

Depends.

Are people going to use their mobile device as a portable all-in-one machine? Or are they going to want a phone only?

For the all-in-one crowd, screens need to be bigger, imho. For the phone only people, smaller seems more convenient.

Looks like there will continue to be two schools of thought, which is likely the reason why I’m seeing both large things offered from my carrier as well as the same size clamshells I’ve been using for several years.

They are coming out with a 5.5 inch Note in September.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2406549,00.asp

Any tablet with 3g or4g support can be used as a phone with the right software. If you have wifi at work, then you don’t even need that.

I also have a Galaxy Note and I think it’s a terrific device.

The key is that while I use the Note as my daily phone it’s not my primary use. I mainly use it for web reading, gaming, photo/video viewing etc and the larger size is great for all of those. I also like the S-pen which wouldn’t work well on a smaller screen. And while the phone is large it’s quite thin and not that heavy. It fits quite comfortably in my shirt pocket.

I don’t expect the average phone will reach that size. The Note has been a big success selling 7 million in 7 months but it’s still a pretty small part of the smartphone market. I expect the average high-end smartphone will average around 4.5-4.8 inches.

I agree NoClue. I have an HTC Incredible that serves me well. I would not want anything bigger. I can email and check weather and GPS read books and such on it no problem. It’s really all I need when I’m out and about. If I’m traveling or want to surf the web I’ll bring my netbook along for the hotel room.

What a world we live in now.

I think fewer people are going to want a phone only. The last time I was in my Verizon store, I don’t think they had any simple clam shell phones on display.

Yeah, but will Verizon offer it? And why is it that A&T always gets the best phones first?

Why not get a Nexus 7 and a hotspot?

Because it’s too large and it’s not a phone.

I, and others I know, am looking for a smartphone with a larger screen than the Samsung SII, but smaller than a tablet, and has full browsing and app capability. The Galaxy Note fits the bill perfectly. Why would I want a different device that starts off not being what I want?

That’s nothing. :smiley:

I think the entire concept and metaphor of “telephone” is going to continue to vanish as we use more and more computers and tablets with voice chat as an almost afterthought. The telephone is the next telegraph!

Depends on how big our hands get.

Google glasses give a hint of the future or if you read a novel about it, Vernor Vinge’s novel Rainbows End. The display is embedded in our lens and we ‘wear’ out computers instead of carrying them. We can have an augmented reality or simply replace it with one of our own or one you share with other people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbows_End

In a few years we will wear our phones and carrying a big phone will be as quaint as carrying a boom box.