How long does it take for a Presidents "agenda" to have a measureable impact?

1 term ? 2 terms?
Can someone educate me?
It seems like 4 years is a really short time frame for some of these “larger than life” agendas our presidents have had…

can someone also present actual cases where a president has successfully implemented some sort of reform and was in office long enough to see it come to fruition…
thanks

A president can declare war as soon as they are in office. They can forward their agenda that fast. Any war has a measurable impact as soon as the troops go to war.

I also believe the can still make anything a National Memorial at any time they want. They could really abuse that immediately.

Congress declares war, not the president. But the president can engage in any military action he likes for at least a few months at his discretion.

ETA: National memorials are created by congressional resolution.

ok, well excluding war…
let me be a little more specific…sorry for the ambiguity in my question

.take for example the Budget…will the current administration be in office long enough to actually see a dent in the budget?
what about healthcare reform? I suppose, raising the age limit (as of recent) can be implemented very quickly as well

The military action is what I was referring to which you corrected. It lasts a few months, that is plenty of time for an agenda.

As for the National Memorials maybe I’m thinking of the wrong term. Roosevelt did some sneaky stuff declaring the the Grand Canyon off limits.

This is the finish of the edit that was cut off.

As for the National Memorials maybe I’m thinking of the wrong term. Roosevelt did some sneaky stuff declaring the the Grand Canyon off limits to save it from development.

Presidents can declare National Monuments without Congressional approval. So sayeth the guy who sometimes works at a National Memorial (which was created by Congress)

http://www.nps.gov/history/history/hisnps/npshistory/antiq.htm

That’s what i was trying to think of. Thanks.

The budget can be changed the year after the president takes office. The president who takes office in Jan 2012 will sign a budget for FY 2013 and that budget can change as much as he can get congress to agree to. Starting as soon as he gets back from the inauguration he can sign executive orders, appoint judges, and pardon criminals. He can sign in new laws as soon as he takes office so he can work with congress even before he is inaugurated. He has to work with congress but if he can get them to go along his agenda could start having an impact immediately. As far as measuring the impact that would depend on what his agenda is.

The OP is way too vague and general to have much meaningful response.

FDR is the best candidate, but even he requires a bunch of ifs and nuances. What was important about his presidency was the way the country’s mood changed almost overnight. The appearance of doing something about the Depression was hugely important even if the economic indicators changed very slowly. You can argue that it took four years, or his whole first term, for a real recovery to occur, but because of that recovery he started in 1937 removing the stimulus programs that caused it and the economy immediately tanked. IOW, you can hurt the country very quickly but improvement is usually slow. It’s also true that the range of social programs and the appointment of more liberal Supreme Court justices had a profound effect, which is what we now call the New Deal, more so than the programs of 1933. It’s hard to estimate how quickly that changed the national picture. WWII had so overwhelming an impact that it muddies the waters.

Social Security took decades to make a big impact on the country. A change in social security today would require additional decades for those changes to take effect. The Supreme Court decision in Brown v Board of Education was in 1954 but it took the 1964 Civil Rights Act to shift the country and that took decades to have a real effect, even though certain things changed immediately.

If pressed, I’d restate what I just said. A president can change the conversation very quickly. But it then takes time for those changes to ripple through the country. And the president usually lags society, or at least lags the change actors in society, rather than leads. No president has ever made a lasting change that wasn’t already in the air waiting to be made.

When a President is sworn in on January 20 he has about two weeks to submit his officialbudget request for the next fiscal year (i.e. for the budget year starting October 1). Because of the condensed timeframe, the new president will largely be submitting a request developed by his predecessor. As stated, he will of course be able to work with Congress to try to shape the budget to better reflect his own priorities.