How long have you ever driven, non-stop?

When I was in the middle of a medical issue a couple hours ago we took a trip of about two hours, were at the location for 90 minutes, then back for two hours. I was totally exhausted and remember thinking, This does not bode well for future travel. Luckily strong drugs have mostly restored my stamina.

The trip above was for a lunch date and I’ve had similar runs. I was gonna brag about it in my initial post but you’ve put me in the shade. :flushed:

non stop no breaks driving about 4 hours. Long before then the pain starts but I useta be young and dumb and fulla stupid. Now I stop every couple hours and get out and walk a bit. My longest drive nonstop (but with fuel and potty breaks) was 24 and 1/2 hours. Can’t say I recommend it, or that I plan on ever doing that little stunt ever again. The car came through without a dent ding or scratch but I was a physical and mental wreck

I used to drive San Jose to LA, with only one or two stops. Big mistake. I find that if you stop every hour, stretch, drain the bladders, etc, when you arrive you aren’t tired and dead. Yes, it adds 30 minutes or so to a 5-6 hour drive, but being able to get around and not hobble for hours in pain is worth it.

Missed the edit window checking rough mileage, I did stop for a couple of meals and to walk the kitties. I was driving from Ft Riley KS to somewhere in Michigan between Kalamzoo and Detroit. Can’t remember the name of the place, but there was a golf course there by a river and the 17th hole routinely flooded chest deep every year. The parents of the girlfriend of the time owned the course. Anyway, it was a very roughly 900ish mile drive, with 4 cats, the girlfriend, pulling a uhaul

Long story not worth telling, but one time when I was 17 I drove from San Diego to Fresno, dropped off my passenger, and drove right back to San Diego. About 700 miles round trip (?), included crossing the Los Angeles megalopolis both directions, a nightmare even in 1968. Beat up P.O.S. 55 Chevy. 18 hours round trip including a one hour roadside nap around the 500 miles mark. I may have been 17 but it wiped me out, the first and last time I’ve ever driven more than 8-9 unbroken hours.

This isn’t really the same way the OP was affected, but I have to add: While the MX-5/Miata is a really fun car, I do find that driving it for more than a couple of hours is kind of fatiguing, especially with the top down. I think it’s the combination of the noise and rough ride.

I assume you mean “single shift, no pee breaks”; if so, probably 4+ hours, and that was when I was a bit younger. Though I tend to have the bladder of a camel, so I’m not the one who usually demands a bathroom break even these days.

As far as single trips without an overnight stop to break it up: I’ve done 700 miles solo (with bathroom / fuel breaks). When I do that, I usually stop every 2ish hours at rest stops just to stretch my legs, if I don’t need a fuel break. My husband and I (then fiance) drove about 875 miles once; left midafternoon, got in midday the next day. A year or so later, we took a cross-country trip which entailed numerous 700-mile driving days in a row at the beginning and ending of the trip.

Roughly 400 miles, 6 hour drive. I had to drive a long distance and wanted to see if I could do it all in one tank of gas. Filled up before I left and had maybe 30 miles of range left when I got there.

Normally I stop every couple of hours or so though.

In the past few months I drove non-stop many times from central Kentucky way up into Ohio.

If you saw the maskless humanoids at the West Lebanon rest area, you wouldn’t stop either.

Without fuel stops, I’ve driven about 600km, so about 7 hours.
With fuel stops, I’ve driven about 1000km or some 12 hours.

I remember a family trip, with me and my sister in the back of the station wagon. We made it from Montreal to Brooklyn, then stopped in Princeton on our way out to Portland… all in one straight shot, with no stops except for gas and picnic lunches at rest stops.

Of course, this was all in Wisconsin, courtesy of my dad’s odd sense of humor…

The next summer we drove from Wales to Denmark to Luxemburg to Belgium…

I know that people in Tokyo aren’t used to drives of several hours. They usually take more frequent breaks.
In late December, 2010 or 2011 a couple of Japanese customers and I were on a flight from Narita to JFK and it was snowed in. We were diverted to Detroit and there were no flights for a couple of days.

There were no other options than a rental car and I was the only one with a US license so I drove the 600 miles with minimal breaks to get to our business meeting. I probably went a couple of hours without any breaks at the beginning.

I’ve driven 500 to 600 miles with minimal breaks before but that was when I was much younger. Damn prostate.

I’m not sure - I’m not one to really note that as I’m doing it, but I have had a few pretty long hauls in my time. I don’t feel like looking up which was the longest so you’ll get a story instead.

I’ve driven from Maine to western New York a number of times - some journeys originating from the very northern tip of the state and traveling through Canada, some from the very southern tip of the state and going through Massachusetts and New York and once from Orono in the middle of the state - that was probably the longest one.

Last year I drove up from Florida in two days, the first leg being Orlando to the North Carolina/Virginia border and then next day was the marathon (including getting a bit lost rounding NYC) from there to southern Maine.

When I drove across country, I did it in - let me count - 6 legs, so no real horrible marathons, except the first from ME to Niagara Falls where I stayed with my uncle and got way shit-faced and drove the next leg with a hangover half the way. Niagara to South Bend, because I didn’t want to try to find a motel near Chicago and I was still too hungover to drive past Chicago so that was my short leg. Then I did South Bend to Lincoln, Nebraska - Lincoln to somewhere in Wyoming - WY to Winnemucca, Nevada where I played a slot machine in a Denny’s - then from there to San Francisco.

TL;DR - I don’t know. About 800 miles or so I think.

Northern Pittsburgh to Tennessee, about 660 miles, or between 10-11 hours. It’s been more than ten years since I’ve done it, but I made the trip many times in my healthier days.

I used to enjoy the trip. All day alone, listening to my favorite music, and at the end of the trip(either way), a place I was glad to get back to.

Worst trip was when I had to take my mother and stepfather on the same trip. Took about 14 hours, as Mom had to stop constantly. I wonder if she was going senile even back then. Just constant nonsense and needing to stop.

A couple times I took the Western Kentucky Parkway, which, for a few hours was nothing but road and pine trees so tall you saw little else. Pine trees on the side of the road, pine trees separating opposing lanes of travel - just frickin’ pine trees everywhere. Early and late in the day, the flashing of the sun between the branches while traveling at speed was like a strobe light. The second time I took it, I decided it wasn’t worth the time saved.

It’s only 100 miles, but it seems longer. Hardly any exits, and any there are, dump you in the boonies without food or gas or bathrooms to be easily found. Fucking pine trees. I’m gonna have nightmares about the pine trees now, just watch.

Birch Bay, WA to Peoria, AZ; about 1,600 miles in 24 hours.

I’m assuming the OP means literally non-stop (no rest stops).

Around 250 miles from Long Island to near Annapolis,MD. For some reason I had no urge to pee nor was I hungry the entire time, and I had filled my tank before I left. I also did a Long Island to Binghamton, NY run non-stop but that was 230 miles.

I was just thinking of this thread as I drove from Denver to La Crosse last week. I did the first leg from Denver to the east side of Lincoln in a single shot got gas, food, and snacks and then did the remainder on the way home I needed gas three times and had to stop to pee a bunch.

So, that was 519 miles non-stop for the longest portion and 446 for the second longest leg overall I did two ~950 mile days two days a part and 1,990 miles over 4 days.

I felt it was a fair question. Long-haul trucks can cover that kind of distance between fuel stops, and truck drivers have been known to go on the go:

https://cdltrainingspot.com/where-do-truckers-pee/

I drove 500 miles today, which is about twice as far as I’ve ever driven before. It was rainy, windy, and frankly there were several scary moments due to ponding on the road in a lot of places and one poorly designed onramp that spit a confused person out in front of me that I had to brake hard to avoid colliding with, but most of all it was tedious - I made a total of 3 stops the whole day: the cattery in Maine, a gas station, and the boarding facility my Balinese kitten spent last night and today at so he wouldn’t be alone 10 hours today. But I finally got my Maine Coon kitten, four weeks after I was originally supposed to.

And now I feel kinda funny. I should eat, but I don’t want to because my stomach is a little upset. And I think the aches that have temporarily resolved themselves will return with a vengeance tomorrow.

0 stars, do not recommend

This is a strange route. Chicago to Cleveland should be all on I-90 (once you get on it depending where you started in Cleveland and where you get off it in Chicago). The route does not go through Michigan at all. However, it does come pretty close and I guess you might have wandered just over the border to eat.