How long will you continue to wear a mask when you’re fully vaccinated and immunized?

Having things open up while wearing a mask certainly makes it easier to cheat on a spouse while going out in public. I think I’ll wear one for a while.

I always hate it when some news team sneaks a black light into a hotel room to show you all the bedding lights up like a 90’s night club. I learned way back in college that washing machine detergent also lights up under a black light*. Maybe you’re not seeing huge puddles of semen all over everything but just places where there was still some residual soap.

*My roommates covered the entire dorm in detergent. During the day everything looked normal, at night with the black light on, every inch of that room looked like it was covered in graffiti.

I am tired of being the outlier, so the mask will be gone on Wednesday. I’m seeing vaccination appointments not being filled but more and more opening up. Mobile clinics are reaching rural communities and pretty much everyone around these parts that wants to be vaccinated has been vaccinated.

I don’t give a flying fuck about the anti-vaxxers and hoaxers anymore, they are all welcome to go the the state capital and have their super-spreader events and fucking kill each other for all I care.

Why can’t we do both?

Doesn’t the often lauded Asian penchant for mask wearing include a lot of going to work/shopping when you’re sick?

Maybe the feds can start shipping more vaccine to my state, where most of us aren’t eligible, and those who are eligible are still working hard to get appointments.

(As i wait to become eligible…)

You guys might as well have them. About half of AZ is at 15+ years old eligibility and there are over 70,000 shots just sitting around waiting for someone, anyone to roll up their sleeve.

If you can get here by Thursday, you can have your first shot on Friday. Masks are required for all clinics. Insurance cards are requested, but I’m not seeing a thing about ID anymore.

You go right ahead and get a federal law passed mandating businesses to give employees paid time off every time they get a sniffle, and then we’ll talk. While you’re at it, make sure parents of school-aged kids get paid leave every time one of their kids gets a sniffle; that way parents don’t send kids to school sick simply because the parent has no more sick days that year. That would ensure teachers don’t catch as many bugs from students. Don’t forget to make sure schools get extra days before state tests when teachers have had to be out sick, especially in states where teacher salaries or merit pay is tied to state test scores.

I don’t disagree with you about people staying home when they’re sick; it’s just not going to happen if we don’t make it doable.

Agree 100% percent. The USA is so primitive it hurts.

The pandemic has opened my eyes with regards to simple illnesses. My entire working life I’ve gone to work regardless of illness, arguing I’d rather get paid for eight hours than suffer at home for free. My mind has been changed.

Hmmm… Weighing the risks of travel…

Looking at the CVS vaccine appointment website, it confirms that Arizona does not require you live or work in the state. It lists that as a requirement of every other state I’ve checked. It also says that appointments are fully booked in every site except two, but one of those two is Tucson.

Airline crew aren’t getting sick any more than the background public is. Travel need not be any riskier than going about a normal day at home with your mask at the grocery store.

If you’ve been one of the folks who’s not ventured out of your house for a year nor seen another soul in person, then the incremental risk of travel to AZ will be significant.

But again, no more incrementally significant than going to your local grocery store or mall or lightly occupied restaurant. Stuff I do and have been doing almost daily for the last 12 months. While N95 masked and aggressively distanced and frequently washed.

We’ve been aggressively planning so we only need to go to the grocery store every 2-4 weeks. I wear an n90 mask with a silicone seal that’s easy to fit right. But now that my daughter is vaccinated, we’re making her do it. I haven’t been to a mall or an indoor shop that isn’t a grocery store in a year. We’re back to getting takeout once a week, but I haven’t been inside a restaurant for a year, either.

The woman who signed me up for a waiting list for a large local vax site estimated they might call me in a week or two, and that seems like a better option than flying (probably twice) across the country. Long flights are expensive and unpleasant even when I’m not worried about infection. (Ironically, I’ve been wearing a surgical mask on long airplane flights for more than a decade – not to protect me from germs, but to keep my respiratory system hydrated. I get very dehydrated on airplanes if I don’t.)

But I think the flight to Arizona would increase my risk.

Based on all info that I totally agree that you traveling would be a big incremental risk. And given the almost-fact of your impending vaccination a risk borne for very little incremental benefit.

I’m getting my first Moderna on Fri. Just 2 days to go!! Woot!! I’ve taken this stuff seriously, albeit not so seriously as you have. Having to travel for work and living where outdoor dining is year round have lightened my psychological burden a bunch.

But I have to say I’m a lot more relieved than I expected to be over the prospect of gaining almost total immunity from the death / “long COVID” disaster and pretty darn good immunity from ordinary flu-like COVID.

Here’s hoping your vaccination comes through on schedule.

As you have probably noticed, I have a lot to say about how this whole mess has been handled in Arizona. I have something different to say about this part. I think it makes a whole lot of sense and I feel it should be implemented country wide. We have homeless people from other states, we have illegals and we have snowbirds. All of those people need to be vaccinated and putting up more roadblocks isn’t good for anyone.

I haven’t been looking at the CVS webpage, I’ve been watching the Yavapai County Health Department site and have been seeing things like this daily.

I can understand why you wouldn’t want to risk flying with a chance of you being vaccinated at home soon. I hope it works out for you quickly.

I sure do hope folks are taking notes for next time this happens.

Yeah, I have a lot to say about what my state has done wrong, too… But I agree with you that we need to vaccinate the homeless and other people who don’t have ID handy.

That’s true. But if all sites in the country are open to everyone from anywhere, then what’s going to happen is that all the people rich enough to travel and to either spend all day on a fast internet connection or hire somebody else to do that for them are going to get vaccinated first, and the homeless and undocumented, as well as the broke but not homeless citizens, will get left out until all the relatively wealthy who want to be vaccinated have been.

When we get to that point (since to some extent that’s happening anyway), then it’ll make sense to not have restrictions.

I agree that provisions need to be made for the homeless and undocumented, and also for snowbirds. But I don’t think opening all sites to everyone accomplishes that. Opening sites in underserved areas and allowing any of all sorts of evidence of local residence, including of temporary residence, seems like it would work better. Allowing sign up by telephone wait list, with no need for anything other than a phone number in order to make an appointment and wait lists so there’s no need to spend every moment for days or weeks trying to make an appointment somewhere you can get to, would help a great deal (some small pharmacies and municipal sites are doing that, but not enough of them.)

Apparently, Arizona reached that point back in February because that’s when the state residency requirement went away, IIRC. I haven’t heard of mobs of vaccine travelers descending on the state, all I’m hearing about are all the unwanted doses waiting for arms (down to 68,000 from yesterday’s numbers).

Some people will break the rules. Some people will cheat and line jump. Some people will be left out. This is just how it is. Right now, the important thing is that everyone gets vaccinated because Arizona is going to be a COVID hotspot for generations and we need you sane folks to contain us.

OK; that makes sense for Arizona, then. I expect it’ll make sense for some states sooner than for others. I hope it’ll eventually make sense for everywhere.

I was responding in part to

I took you to mean that you thought all states should do this immediately and should have been doing it all along. I may have misunderstood that. And I realize that I didn’t quote that bit, which I should have done.

I’ll finish my vaccination on 4/20. After that, I’m expecting we’ll have to wear masks on planes, buses, trains. For me, I won’t be venturing out to overcrowded places that may contain the still unvaccinated. A movie theater is a big no, same with busy bar or club. Maybe this fall. We’ll see.