How many Dopers have bought motorcycles based on SDMB threads?

Every couple of months there is an “I’m thinking of buying a motorcycle” thread, where someone asks advice about learning to ride a motorcycle or which bike to buy. How many of you first-time riders have bought a motorcycle after posting one of these threads or reading them? Was the advice helpful?

No one? :confused:

Not yet, but I keep thinking about it… I read the motorcycle threads, hoping I’ll be pushed over the edge into buying one. And now, with the price of gas going up, it’s looking even better to me.

Of course it would help if I had a steady job to pay for one, I guess.
(I rode a Kawasaki 440 all over the southeast some years ago. I’d like to have the opportunity to do that again before I get too old.)

Not yet, Johhny. I’ve got a degree to finish, a job to get, a ring to pay off, a wedding to pay for (OK, so my parents will probably get that), a honeymoon to consider, and a soon-to-be-fiancee-and-then-wife to convince.

It doesn’t help that one of our good friends got messed up pretty bad when he high-sided his Super Hawk two weeks ago. 20 MPH and he ruptured his spleen, a kidney, and punctured a lung! (He’s at home now, recovering. 9 days in ICU. If he weren’t in football shape, he’d be dead.)

That particular incident got me knocked from sportbikes to cruisers. I’m trying to work my way back up to an SV650S :smiley: