How many ethnicities do you have? How many do you identify with?

White guy of mostly dutch ancestry. What’s not dutch is german or anglo-saxon.

Im a Krop. Half Kraut (Mom), Half Wop (Dad). Im the first generation here on my moms side, second generation here on my dads side.

I connect more with the Italian, but that is because my moms family stayed in Germany, and there werent many of them. I was constantly surrounded by my dads family.

I celebrate my heritage with my family through food. German and Italian fare in my house all the time. Being a hobby chef, I try and experience both cultural cuisines extensively. My DD15 has loved cabbage and sauekraut from a young age. She has a very diverse palette and that makes me happy.

Ancestry (by percentage, descending order):

Italian (Southern) via Ohio (immigration 20th c.)
English via both Canada and Ohio (immigration 17th–19th c.)
Irish via both Canada and Ohio (immigration 18th–19th c.)
German (Hohenlohe) via Canada (immigration 20th c.)
Swedish via Canada (immigration 19th c.)
Scottish via Canada (immigration 19th c.)
Swiss (French-speaking) via Ohio (immigration 19th c.)
mystery via Ohio (immigration 17th–18th c.)

born and raised in California, where others identify me as “white”.

Ethnicity:

Californian Canadian of Italian heritage. I acknowledge the others when it suits me, but other than noting some commonalities with German and Scottish people, I don’t really have any cultural connections to the other places.

1/4 unknown, but probably English
1/4 Swedish
1/2 mixed German, English, Irish, Scot, Dutch

I identify mostly with the Swedish. It was very stong in the maternal side of my family, and several recipes and traditions have been passed down.

I’m an American. Specifically, a Midwestern one. There’s a culture all unto itself.

I’m also Jewish and I like it that I can plop down in any shul in almost any place in the world and have an idea of what is going on. As diverse as Jews are, a Jew is a Jew is a Jew…of course.

100% Ashkenazi Jewish. Some from Russia, some from Germany, some from Austria, but all of the cultural connections are Jewish. Although my family engages in various low levels of Reform Jewish religious activity, culturally we are deeply connected to our Jewish roots in our food, our holidays, our professions and our relationships.

3/4 Slovak, 1/4 German (with a German last name)

Actually my German people are from Prussia. Their boat left from Prussia.

Everyone was an early-1900 immigrant. We still honor our Slovakian roots with food and a tiny bit of language and custom.

1) How many ancestral ethnicities do you have? Two: my father’s side is 100% Irish, and my mother’s side is 100% Italian. On both sides the immigration happened in the early 1900s; my parents – born in 1948 – were second-generation.

2) How many of those, if any, do you have a cultural or emotional connection to? In what ways? I definitely feel emotionally connected to both, but for some reason the Irish heritage resonates a bit more. I really have no idea why, since my Italian grandparents were way more ethnic/stereotypical than my Irish grandmother was (my Irish grandpa died when I was 8). Though it might be more accurate to say that I have an emotional connection to North Jersey Italian-Americans. :wink:

When I think of Italians I think of my grandparents and cousins, but when I think of the Irish I think of Ireland and my ancestors. (As a kid I went to both Ireland and Italy: we were able to find and visit distant cousins in Ireland, we went to an awesome céilidh, and we even located my great-great-grandfather’s grave. In Italy, though, there were no such family ties. I’m not even sure that we ever made it to Napoli. But then, my mom has never been as interested in that sort of thing as my dad is.)

I wear a Claddagh ring every day: I’m unmarried (though it can be worn as a wedding ring), and it’s the only ring I wear. The traditional Italian jewelry is a horn (for boys) or a cross (for girls), but I’m neither male nor a Christian so I don’t wear either of those. I’ve long wanted a tattoo that somehow represents both Ireland and Italy, but haven’t been able to come up with a good design. Yet.

In converations like this, I usually describe myself as “half Irish, half Italian, and all American.” :slight_smile:

I have documented English, Scottish, Irish, and German ancestry. The totality of the German ancestry that was passed down to me was one book that I found in my parents’ crawl space as a child.

Now, the Scottish side has been kept alive to some degree, though in the end it really means, “let’s wear kilts”, which isn’t really the fashion anymore in Scotland anyway. I also have traveled in heavily-Scottish Maritime Canada and nobody wears kilts there unless they are piping.

1/4 German Jew, 1/4 Russian Jew (both from my mother’s side), from my father mostly Scottish with some (possibly mythical) Creek (the native American tribe).

I don’t identify that strongly with any group besides “American”; I was raised with an awareness of my half-Jewish identity, but we took part in no Jewish rituals or traditions (except the complaining :))- both my parents are non-religious. My grandmother and her family escaped from Germany in the 1930s, so I do feel an emotional connection to any sort of Jewish persecution around the world, though I’ve never experienced any myself.

Father’s side 100% Irish, and we still visit back and forth.

Mother mostly Irish, except my GGGGrandmother who was an African slave.

So, boatloads of Irish influence (gan amhras!) But I am the first on my Mother’s side to acknowledge the African ancestry, (despite her two sisters both having married black Americans,) so very little information is available there.

Father’s side: German (Prussia), immigrated in the mid-1800s; Irish, immigration in the 1700s

Mother’s side: English (Mayflower), Irish, Scots, and Welsh, all very early immigrants (1600s, early 1700s).

I don’t really relate to any of them other than English (primarily through genealogy research). I never knew my father’s family, nor the man himself for that matter, so other than everybody in the family tending to run to fat and having large heads, I don’t identify with it.

My children get the additional input of Polish and Bohemian.

We may be related. :slight_smile:

I consider myself a Canadian of English descent. I don’t think I know anyone outside my relatives who has a less mixed descent.

All of my grandparents were from England.

We don’t know much about my father’s father’s ancestry, other than that it was English, from Lancashire. We have a fair amount of info on my father’s mother’s ancestry (also English).

My mother’s family, who I more strongly identify with, were from southwest England: Kent, Folkestone, etc. My mother’s father grew up in London–I’ve seen the townhouse they lived in for a time around 1900–and my mother’s mother was from the countryside. I have more info on both their ancestries, and it’s mostly farmers, with the occasional blacksmith, until the late nineteenth century.

I grew up with my grandmother’s roast beef, Yorkshire puddings, and potatoes on Sundays; I have a predilection towards Monty Python; and I have been told that I have a trace of English accent in my Canadian English. I have yet to understand cricket, though, in spite of the fact that Richard Humphrey was my great-grandfather.

Edit: I also discovered that my mother’s father’s mother was Jewish. Still had an English name though; I don’t know enough about her ancestry or the history of Jews in England to know whether there was a ‘native’ population of Jews, or whether she might have been the child of immigrants.

My ancestral background is 75% Polish and 25% Bohemian. I identify more as Polish but, for practical concerns, the two ethnicities are close enough at a casual glance that just saying “Polish” is a matter of convenience as anything else. Plus I don’t have to explain to anyone what a “Bohemia” is.

I think the cat walked across your keyboard. :slight_smile:

You can wear a kilt any time you like - guys in kilts are HOT!!!

My ethnicity - half Mennonite, half English-German (all Canadian). My Mennonite mom is from northern European Mennonites who came to settle Canada, uh, I think it was three generations ago.

I only really identify with my Canadian ethnicity, but it is interesting to have some Mennonite heritage and traditions mixed in.

Mostly German (my father was 100% German and my mother less so),with some English, Irish, Danish, Austrian, Luxembourg/Belgian.

I identify with the German and English the most. I would like to identify with the Irish part if only they had left a clue as to where in Ireland they were from!!!

I think the Austrian, Luxembourg,and Belgian parts are rather fluid depending upon the borders of those countries at different times.

Lots of Catholics in my family, and the Danish and English ones either converted for their spouses or were fine with the kids being raised Catholic. I don’t have a cultural attachment in the manner of traditional songs or food or dress.

I’m 100% Hungarian Jewish.

It depends what you mean. Both my parents are from Hungary, and they know that all their grandparents were Hungarian, so I know at least that far back all my ancestors were Hungarian.

Darn good question. The only person in my family to strongly identify with one ethnicity was my maternal grandfather, who was fiercely, 100% Swedish. My father had one Swedish grandparent as well, so I grew up identifying as Swedish. When I went to college, I realized that my surname was Scottish, and when I grew out my beard it came in kind of reddish, so I started identifying as Scottish as well. Then when I was in my late 20s, my father was doing some accidental geneology and found out that his great-grandmother had about the most Ashkenazic name you could think of, so I started claiming some Jewish ancestry as well (mostly for the jokes).

Irish, English, French and Canadian (First Nations).

I think I identify with them all. My last name is quintessentially Irish, I fondly remember my very British Grandparents, heard a thousand times, growing up, how French I look, and when I get brown from the sun, (and I get very brown, no sun screen needed!), I could, indeed, pass as First Nations.

Mostly I feel Canadian though.