Oh, huh. I don’t think I’ve even heard of metamizole.
By now it’s just generic American, but “aluminum” was once a brand name for the element aluminium when extracted by a patented electrical process from bauxite.
It’s also known as Novalgin, Analgin, Optalgin and “Mexican Aspirin”. It’s a basic painkiller.
Aspirin is my pain reliever of choice. Tylenol does jack shit for pain for me; ibuprofen is okay. At how often I use, which is maybe once a month or so, I’ve never encountered any stomach issues. Tylenol I was always more wary of because I used to be a heavy drinker and that stuff is not good for your liver. Every med has its pluses and minuses.
Yeah, tylenol doesn’t do shit for pain, in my experience. One of my doctors claims it’s good for fever, but a low grade fever helps fight infection, and i haven’t had a fever high enough to be dangerous in decades, if ever.
I’ve never heard any of those names for metamizole. It’s just a drug I’ve never heard of.
Huh. According to Wikipedia, it is only available in the US for veterinary use.
I find that if I take any pain reliever too often it stops working. Acetaminophen does a fairly good job - better if it’s combined with caffeine like Excedrin. Naproxen works once or twice, but if I take it regularly it does nothing. I need at least 1000 mg of Ibuprofen to even notice it.
Because I didn’t know a batch of those were generic I don’t think I can answer the question. What else might I think is generic that isn’t?
I certainly do use some of them knowingly; but it might depend on the context. If I’m putting it in writing in a formal context, I’d be more careful.
Depends a lot on the person. Aspirin’s never bothered my stomach any. And acetaminophen does absolutely zilch for me.
So, just to be clear, you’re talking specifically about names that are not in the public domain, but are still copyrighted or trademarked?
So ‘kleenex’ would count, but ‘elevator’ wouldn’t?
Yes, sorry, it wasn’t well thought out. The title may be wrong as well because I’m specifically looking for things that still trademarked but people use generically rather than names that the trademark has been lost.
So “escalator” would not count because the trademark was lost but “Kleenex” would.
I had no idea that Dumpsters where invented by the Dempster Brothers. It sounds like the setup to a joke. “I’m John Dumpster, inventor of the Dumpster”. Nominative determinism?
And Honey Bucket.
In New Zealand when I grew up it was common to call vacuuming “luxing” after the brand name Electrolux. It wasn’t universal, we didn’t use the term in our family, so I’m not sure if it is still done.
I use “Panadol” for any paracetamol (or ibuprofen) product.
Some from Germany: just like kleenex in the US, “Tempo” is both a trademark and the generic name for paper handkerchiefs. Everybody calls them that, though most buy the house brand of their favorite discounter which only costs a half.
Then there’s “der Föhn”, which originally is a warm wind at the foot of the Alps in Austria and Bavaria, but also a trademarked word for a hair-dryer which has become generic. The official name is “Haartrockner”, which just means “hair-dryer”, but everybody in colloquial speech calls it a Föhn.
And two rather funny (for English speakers) ones: a Port-A-Potty is called a “Dixieklo”, after the most common brand. That may sound a bit insulting to Southerners, because you’ll often hear someone say on a concert or festival “I’m going to Dixieland”.
As for Aspirin: Bayer still holds the trademark in Germany, and the generic name is ASS. Yeah, giggle worthy for English speakers, again, but it just stands for “AcetylSalicylSäure”.
I had always heard that the Aspirin TM was revoked (along with a lot of other things) during WWII. But it is certainly true that in Canada only Bayer can call its ASA tablets Aspirin.
The main book used in teaching abstract algebra until the late 20th c. had its copyright revoked during the war. The author, although Dutch, moved to Germany and was an enthusiastic Nazi.
Acetaminophen and aspirin are the best non-narcotic pain relievers for me. All the others I’ve tried barely do anything. And aspirin is gentle enough on my stomach that I take it even when the pain is in my stomach and it actually helps.
What I actually do if I just have pain rather than a fever is take one aspirin and one acetaminophen. Acetaminophen is actually slightly better at pain relief for me but I am wary of its hepatological affects, and I figure one pill is better than two.
And returning to the topic: before I was used to saying and writing “acetaminophen” a lot, I probably would have called it “Tylenol” no matter its actual brand, but I no longer do that.
I only say Zoom or Google when I’m using Zoom or Google. Same for Q-tips. I do say escalator regardless of the actual brand.
Off the top of my head:
- I use “google” as a verb, but then, Google is the only search engine I really use, so I do google things using Google.
- I use “kleenex” as a generic term for facial tissue, but I buy Kleenex brand facial tissue 90+% of the time.
- I use “Q-tip” as a generic term for ear swabs, but we nearly always buy the Q-Tip brand.
- I do use “Tylenol” generically to refer to any acetaminophen, but I only buy the store brand of it.
Here’s a weird one from Israel: Velcro is commonly referred to as “Scotch”, due to its resemblance to Scotch-Brite scouring pads.