For this thread, I’m looking for genericized trademarks that you personaly currently use, and let’s define that as having used that within one calendar year from your post. So, it’s not just a list of genericized trademarks gotten from AI or google.
Speaking of google, that’s the one I most commonly use, although I’m going to be at a disadvantage to most people, since normally I speak more Japanese during the day than English.
When I took my kids to America in March, we went to a trampoline park.
I don’t use the term kleenex any more. They are called tissue in Japanese, although they are also called “scottie” in Japanese as that brand name has become genericized.
I used to use a lot like coke, kleenex, comet, etc. but I can’t think of any I knowingly use anymore. (I didn’t know about trampoline- what is the generic name for that?)
ETA: I just thought of one: I refer to any gelatin as jello.
writing from the UK. Vacuum cleaners are are pretty much ubiquitously referred to as “Hoovers” after a brand which hasn’t been popular for years. This usage has expanded to achieve verb status – “can you hoover the house before your parents get here ?”
I “google” things. Despite Bing being my default search engine. In fairness, I also often switch to Google for search when I’m not happy w Bing’s answers. So googling isn’t always a misnomer for my searches.
I use “kleenex”. I do buy only that brand, but call the generic stuff by the same name.
I’ve been trying to remember others that I use. Folks might find this list interesting; good bet there are some on there you didn’t know were trademarks. List of generic and genericized trademarks - Wikipedia. It overlaps a lot with @Mean_Mr.Mustard’s list, so I bet he got his starting from there.
A side question not addressed by the OP is “Since when is it genericized?”. And where? e.g. Starting in 1897 Aspirin was a trademark for a salicylic acid preparation made by Bayer and only Bayer. The US trademark was invalidated as genericized in 1921. By maybe 1925 in the USA the word commonly meant a salicylic acid preparation made by anyone. Even later (1970s?) at least some people use it as a further generic for “any headache remedy”. Meanwhile in nearby Canada Bayer’s trademark of “Aspirin” is still in effect today and other brands of salicylic acid can’t legally use that word.
There’s almost no USAian alive today who remembers when Aspirin ever was a trademark. ISTM genericizations older than the poster definitely should not count. ISTM things which are currently still under trademark, commonly known to still be under trademark, but which are nonetheless commonly used generically should count. Plus some allowance for things that got informally or formally genericized sometime during your life.
That’s the one I thought would surprise everyone, but you beat me to it. What else would you call it, a “moving staircase”? Although it’s not a word you have to use very often.
The verb “escalate” derived as a back formation from “escalator”.
I use google more than I’m comfortable with in spite of the fact that I avoid using their services as much as possible. I didn’t know that AirFryer was a trademark, but I use that one. It’s almost obsolete these days but I still call a copy machine a Xerox. Most of the other ones that have been mentioned I don’t have much occasion to use, but I have never called a facial tissue a Kleenex, they’re just tissues, and I’ve never called a soda a Coke.
I find it works better than ibuprofen when i have a caffeine headache. (Ibuprofen is better for musculoskeletal aches and pains, in my experience.) I also pop one before a long plane ride, to reduce the rush of blood clots. I usually take it with food, and have never had stomach issues from aspirin.
Also, i agree with @LSLGuy that “aspirin” doesn’t count as a trademark in the US. All the brands use that word, and have all my life.
I didn’t realize all the items on @Mean_Mr.Mustard 's list were trade marks. Escalator? Dumpster? Air fryer? But many of those i only use when taking about that brand, like chapstick and q-tip. Others i use as if they were a generic, like Google and zoom. (Although i sometimes clarify in the next sentence that I’m using kagi search or google meet.)
I’m from the South. We drink cokes. The followup question is then “what kind of coke would you like?”
My medicine cabinet & first aid kits are rife with Band-aids, Advil, Tylenol, Neosporin, Ace bandages, and Listerine, regardless of the actual name on the label.
I live in a country that allows OTC metamizole, so between that, ibuprofen and paracetamol, we have all of our basic painkilling needs covered without aspirin.