How many McDonald's are there?

I read a fantastic article about McDonalds in the New York Times Magazine oh… say 4 or 5 years ago. Facts I remember:
[ul]
[li]Fries are all 1/4" square, 2" - 3" in length[/li][li]A new McDonalds opens every 3 days[/li][li]Burgers are now cooked in a griddle that closes (like the George Forman Machine) because asking an actual human being to flip them was too inexact for Ray Croc (?).[/li][li]Mr. Croc’s goal was that you should never be more than 4 minutes from a McDonalds. If you live in a major city, I think he succeeded. :yuck:[/li][/ul]

Holy crap! Are you serious?! That sucks, big time.

[/QUOTE]

It happened once, kinda late at night so it wasn’t TOO bad. What happened was the cook decided to go on break without telling the manager. Manager, who was working drive through, went for a little talk and told me to take care of both drive thru and the front. That’s not too bad if there is only one or two people coming through I just got unlucky enough to have about 4-5 come in. That also wouldn’t have been too bad except one guy wanted his Big Mac a certain way and I had never made one before so I went in the back and made it up. The guy never came back to compalin so it must have been ok. it wasn’t all that bad, just kinda odd to try and do everything at once.

If you’re ever between Frederick and Hagerstown MD on I-70 don’t stop at the McD’s in Myersville, that’s where I worked for three long years. at least it taught me not to goto place like that.

MikeG- Thanks for the info on the bread ovens.

Edward The Head- Our McDs was, I think, the third busiest in the state (the other two being in Waikiki and the mall near there), so we never had fewer than six people around, even late at night. S’probably why I thought your situation on the par with medieval torture. :slight_smile:

Three years, huh? Me too; nearly four, actually.

Don’t think I’ll be stopping at any McDonald’s anytime soon… I avoid the place like the plague now.

I, too, have served my time at McD’s. I still have nightmares about it (truly). It has given me a sense of perspective–

I know that when I get up and go to work in the morning, no matter what happens, I will never experience the kind of hell that I did as a McDonald’s employee.

If you piled all the Big Macs end to end headed for the moon, you would soon have your whole yard covered in ketchup drips.

http://www.mcspotlight.org

I haven’t eaten in a McDonalds in over a year, and plan on not ever patronizing them again in my life.

I also actively discourage all my friends and relatives from eating there.

–Tim

ignoscop said

Actually the yard would be covered in special sauce. A Big Mac does not have ketchup on it.

And as far as McD employee horror story; try running the grill by yourself during lunch rush.

Just another McD veteran checking in.

::faints::

The most excitement we ever had was a two-hour power outage during morning rush. The worst were the two dozen angry senior citizens, systems full of McCoffee, demanding more…

I am happy to say I live (well, lived (now at college in another state)) in the only state that does not have a McDonald’s in its capitol city. Pretty special, huh? Actually, I think we have the leadt number of McDonald’s total, and definitly the least per square mile, or square whatever.
Where do I live, you ask? Well, a little backwoods place i call Vermont. Other people call it hicksville fofr some reason…
Irronically enough, I live in Troy, NY now. (Flymaster mentioned something about it)

Subways seem to be sprouting up in the corners of many convenience stores around here so it surprises me none that they have more in the US. There was a huge fight several years back to keep McDonald’s out of Cooperstown NY. It was a partial success in that it kept it out of the town and village but they put one in just a couple miles down the road in the next town over. Considering the size of the year round population my guess is that things are pretty slow in the off season and booming during the tourist rush.