How Many Programming Languages Are You Fluent In?

Hmm, let’s see.

MIPS Assembly
Java
Javascript
C
C++
C#
Python
Perl
Visual Basic/.NET
SML
PHP
bash/csh/etc
SQL
BASIC
Mathematica
MATLAB
R
Pascal
zMUD scripting language

And of course, LOLCODE! CAN HAS STDIO? :smiley:

Let’s see…

C/C++
VB/VBA
perl
NSIS
make
dos .bat files
javascript
vbscript
Motorola 68K assembly
x86 assembly
SAS
Scheme
Coq (an automated theorem prover/verifier that exposes its own functional language)
Prolog
Matlab
SQL

I should know some Java by the end of this semester.

Depending how far you want to go with “fluent”. . .

C/C++
Pascal
Fortran
I knew BASIC at one point.
For stats/math languages. . .

SAS
R/S+
Matlab
Mathematica
I’m familiar with IBM’s OSL (optimization subroutine library)

Others. . .
Python
bash (and similar stuff)
LaTeX

Programming has always been a “tool” for me, not an “end” in itself. I have enough languages there for any task I’ve ever come across.

Well, I don’t know any beyond BASIC (back in the day anyway).

But count me as one who didn’t even know there were this many programming languages.

A bit rusty in some of these, but, those that I remember

C
Perl
awk
Pascal
Fortran
PL1
BCPL - the predecessor of C, popular on Multics
Basic
PDP 11 assembler
IBM 360 assembler
PDP 1 assembler
Cyber assembler - TAed for a class in this, and wrote an emulator for it.
Marble - the language I designed and implemented for my dissertation.
SAS
shell, of course.
StarOffice macros
Spreadsheet programming languages.
LISP - just a little
a language whose name I don’t remember, which dealt with syntactically sugared lambda expressions, which we used in 6.231 - the programming linguistics class I took as a freshman
LGP-21 machine language - and the assembler for this I wrote myself in high school
Snobol
Lockheed SUE microcode
x86 assembler, of the 8080 vintage.
A couple of other microprogramming machine languages, which Marble generated code for.
I don’t consider make a programming language - I have some standards. :slight_smile: If you include that, you might as well include lex and yacc
Tutor - the language used for writing lessons in the PLATO system.
Some random language which we had to write a compiler for (from scratch - this is before compiler compilers) in my compiler class.

and probably a bunch more I don’t want to remember. Ah, for the days when SIGPLAN notices had the definition of a new language or two in every issue.

C, C++, Java
Javascript
Perl, PHP
SAS

SAS is the odd one, because I write applications with it, and I’m not a statistician :stuck_out_tongue:

Nay, only engineering managers have pointy-hair. I will say that getting the degree was one of the best things I did, and since I work in a related technical field, then understanding technology makes a complete difference for sales and marketing in understanding what’s possible and what isn’t.

It pisses off my support engineers when the Pointy-hair boss troubleshoots something they miss.

Also helps in the job interview.
Q. We’re looking for someone who is a little technical.
TP. Is my EE enough?"
Q. Check.

Women.

Although every time I try to program one, I get a fatal error.

A lot of people do because it’s awesome for bringing in huge data files, and whipping on 'em. It even makes sense if you’re doing easy stuff. . .sorts, simple summaries, etc.

The full power is only realized when you get into statistics, though.

I mostly hate it. I hate the logic of the code. I hate trying to debug it. But, it’s a monster professionally.

Used professionally:
C
Pro-C
SQL (is that really a langage?)
PL-SQL (That definitely is a language)
Various Unix shells (not expert, but I learn what’s needed to do the job)
DCL
Java (Just one nontrivial app that I wrote)
COBOL
FORTRAN
BASIS report language (note final letter) – BASIS was a bibliographic citation DBMS, which I used at my first job out of graduate school, at a publishing company.

Given that I’m pursuing a Ph.D. in CS, my list looks sadly short compared to many others’ (especially when I’m being totally honest about what it means to be fluent; hence Perl’s exclusion from the list):

Basic
C/C++
Java
Javascript
Lisp

Natural/ADABAS
COBOL
Basic
Java
SQL
Fortran
RPG-II
Assembler (BAL, Kodel, Burroughs)
DB2
DB4

Cripes, am I old.

Regards,
Shodan

At least one other poster know RPG, I feel a little better.

In order of learning:

BASIC
Fortran
Pascal
C/C++
sed, awk, make, (t)csh, lex, yacc
Haskell <— I can make it do “Hello World”
C#
Objective-C
PERL
PHP
Ruby
Python

You need to understand the syntax before getting into the interfaces…

Si

Indeed it is, and some of the procedures they have for data manipulation are absurdly powerful. The power of PROC TRANSPOSE is immense, and I keep wishing SQL had something like it. :smiley:

EDIT: One thing I do have to mention is that I absolutely detest the SAS IDE they provide. The thing clearly hasn’t been modernized since the 80’s, and even the syntax highlighting craps out sometimes. sigh

Pascal
C/C++
REXX (on OS/2)
VX-REXX (REXX with a VB-style interface)
VB
C#
Java

I’ve used LISP and Motorola 68000 assembly in some college classes but not professionally.

In college I learned Pascal and VAX assembler (both completely forgotten).

By this time next year, however, I’ll be fluent in JavaScript as well as [del]Klingon[/del] PHP and SQL.

Here’s what comes to mind, in approximate order of having become familiar with them:

QBASIC (not that I remember anything about the details of its syntax, but it was the first language I learnt and did significant things in)
UnrealScript (this was seriously a major turning point in my programming life)
C++
C
Common Lisp
Haskell (which is lovely. I should basically list it twice…)
Scheme
Java
Standard ML

This isn’t counting things like, say, Logo, which I suppose I once learnt in school and now remember nothing of, or Autolisp (what’s the point mentioning a million different flavors of Lisp? At any rate, I once had to do things with this, and had some familiarity with the details of how to do so. I no longer do, beyond the fact that it’s a Lisp), or the TI-89 language, or simple shell scripting, or all those PL books I’ve read without difficulty with examples in Miranda or O’Caml or…, or such things. Like Derleth said, knowing a language is nothing, knowing a paradigm is more important. I imagine, like most people here, though I don’t currently recall how the Mathematica language works, say, I could sit down with it and a manual and bang out the sort of things I want without any great difficulty, given my familiarity with other similar languages. But the above list contains those languages I’d say I’ve actually spent significant time using.

Oh, and I forgot to list x86 assembly, for that close-to-the-metal cred. Stick it in somewhere.