How Many Slaves Work For You?

My problem was that a lot of my food and clothes does come from fair trade (clothes 2nd hand) = non-slave labor, but there was no way to account for this, so my result is not accurate.

Sure, but if there are a billion people enjoying first-world living standards and an estimated 27 million “slaves” producing cheap consumer goods, it’s more like we statistically have 1/40th of a slave each. So to get 100 slaves working on your part of the chain, you would have to buy 4,000 times as many goods as the average person.

Only 26, probably because I’m retired and living in a smaller house with fewer electronics and way fewer clothing items.

I have 26 as well. It’s clear to me that I need more clothes!

I have 29 probably because I don’t eat enough fruits and vegetables!

Yes, that is all it is. I work in Africa and I am sick of seeing this simple minded shite.

The analysis it presents is shite, its assumptions are shite, its data is shite… It’s all shite. Rather like those scare statistics about rape or sex trafficing. Third order extreme extrapolations, that throw together unpleasant with real exploitation with slavery, all to drive a uni student “Oh my God!!!” response.

83, although that’s as a household, not just me. We have lots of electronics.

Um, most of the examples they give are slavery or worse:

the rare earth in your cell phones and most computer phones is mined by villagers kidnapped by the rebel armies in the Congo

rugs made in India without the rugmark seal and paving stones and grave headstones without certificate are made by children sold into debt slavery by their parents

chocolate and other cocoa-products without fair-trade seal is made from cocoa-beans harvested by children held in slavery

And women working in sweatshops who are locked in during the day so that even in a fire they can’t escape, who work 14-16 hrs a day, 7 days a week, with 10 min. toilet break per day allowed, no organization allowed (because union people are killed) - that’s pretty close to slavery for me.

29 - my biggest offenders were soap and shampoos, interestingly. And even though I’m a gadget geek and all my clothes scores were 15 and under, my clothes were more wasteful.

My more conscientious coworker scored 24, which disappointed him.

Locked up on me using Firefox. Guess they don’t like Free Software made by volunteers.

Enjoy,
Steven

IIRC, it’s illegal in America for them to label their products as “not made by sweatshops/slave labor”, unless the law was changed. This law of course had nothing to do with companies that use brutal labor practices wanting to avoid condemnation and competition…

what you’re talking about is your slavery footprint from being a consumer of goods and services that used slave labor.

i wanted to talk about sex slavery. :smiley:

Some of my slaves must work for you, too. It’s not that my lifestyle necessitates 26 person-years of slave labor, it’s that 26 separate people who are slaves have contributed to items that I use. I think. It’s hard to tell what we’re counting, exactly, because the site isn’t specific.

Worked fine for me on Chrome, another free browser :slight_smile:

52! It was the clothes and shoes that did me in. Does it count that I sew a lot of them myself?

Only 32. I also own a number of Negros.

So theoretically, any American taking this test probably has at least 10 slaves. Does that mean there are over 3 billion slaves in the world or do we share?

I had 54 slaves and clothes/shoes/toiletries are my downfall. I knit and a lot of what I have I made myself from fair trade or local wool. I also tend to buy quality and keep my stuff nice for quite a while. It’s not like I’m out buying new, cheap stuff all the time. Also I use a fair bit of toiletries (make up, and other stuff), but the brands I used are crunchy granola, made in the USA or fair trade stuff.

It’s a cute site, but it really doesn’t take into account people who are actually thinking about what they buy and where it comes from.

What exactly about their sourcing looks dodgy to you? They appear to have pretty conservative guidelines on what counts as “slavery.” I agree that using that word to describe poor working conditions degrades it, but it looks to me like they’re talking about actual unpaid forced labor. That sounds like slavery to me.

This one?

The site game me an average of 26 slaves per person who has been polled. Wikipedia give me a number of 500 million people who own home computers in 2002 (people who could possibly be polled). We can use those numbers to extrapolate that those 500 million people would require 13 billion slaves, not bad for world of 7 billion.