How many songs have "Kalamazoo" in their lyrics?

It’s a Beautiful Day for a Ballgame, by the Harry Simeone Chorale, long played as the introduction to Chicago Cub and Los Angeles Dodger radio broadcasts:

The fans are out to get a ticket or two
From Walla Walla, Washington to Kalamazoo . . .

This thread just brought back a cute memory–I went to college with a guy from Kalamazoo. This was nowhere near there and there weren’t many people around from that area. He was always having to say “Yes, it’s a real place.”

Come to think of it, the girl from Chattanooga had the same problem. :slight_smile:

Lots of songs. See [Kalamazoo, Michigan - Wikipedia Kalamazoo, Michigan] in Wikipedia. Make sure you look at today’s version (I can’t guarantee that some editor won’t delete this stuff). In a lot of those lyrics, “Kalamazoo” is a reference to an old Gibson Guitar. Hope that helps. Best to all of you. Happy New Year.:cool:

Tmesis.

It’s funny that a word that means the addition of syllables to a word looks like it’s gone through the opposite function.

“I hate tmesis to pieces!” ---------------- Mr. Jinks, as portrayed by Messrs. Hanna and Barbera

In the Bowling for Soup song “I Can’t Stand L.A.” (from the album Sorry For Partyin’), Kalamazoo is listed as one of the places BFS has been that Jaret would rather be than Los Angeles.

After he sings the line mentioning Kalamazoo, though, you can hear bass player Eric Chandler shout in the background, “We’ve never been there!”

Just to add a bit of geekery: it wasn’t a “model.” During the Depression, Gibson was desperate and started making private-label guitars for Montgomery Ward under the Recording King name, and for a toy distributor by the name of Kel Kroyden (link to ref page with pics of some KK guitars - great looking old Gibson guitar designs…with parrots and stuff painted on them ;)).

Anyway, one brand that they sold was Kalamazoo - great guitars that fueled the Delta blues (along with old Stellas, Kays, etc.); although Robert Johnson, the legendary bluesman who made a pact with the devil at the crossroads, is seen in the photos we have of him playing an old Gibson L-2, he mainly played Kalamazoos, to my knowledge. Anyway, that is what Fogarty was referring to in the song Down on the Corner - Willie and the Po’ Boys include a guitar player playing a Gibson-made-but cheaper Kalamazoo.

Sorry - guitar geekery moment over…carry on.