How many straws would it take to break a camel's back?

Whoa. A zombie from my own personal past timeline!

What you, sir, have failed to realise is that the hemispheric wave variation is subject to quantum fluctuation modulation because of the inverse Heliconian Zebber effect. This only applies at sufficiently high camel-straw congregation densities, and is a very esoteric effect, so I’m not surprised you haven’t heard of it. This renormalises the answer to the expected value of 42.

And you call *me *an amateur?

Updated link

1, for large values of “straw”.

And then, at the end of the show, blowing it up.

The experiment would need to be done under impossibly rigid controlled circumstances. If the camel were alive and conscious and possessed any measure of free will, it would not be the final straw that would break his back. One could be a couple of straws short of the critical weight, and any very slight physiological change in the camel would cause the breakdown – possibly just breathing, or swallowing, or maybe even a pulse beat. Or a slight shift in wind or ambient temperature.

Just as bridges do not collapse when one too many cars drive onto them, but when a whole panoply of factors all combine to exceed the capacity of the bridge to remain standing.

Mark Twain said it was a feather that did the job - (The Adventures of Tom Sawyer )

The IHZ effect. How did I not consider it? I shall go to the cliffs late today and do the right thing…

One of the earliest published usages of this phrase was in Charles Dickens’s ‘Dombey and Son’ (1848), where he says “As the last straw breaks the laden camel’s back”, meaning that there is a limit to everyone’s endurance, or everyone has his breaking-point.
Since it’s the “last straw”, it can not be the ‘first’ (and only) straw.

Of course the straw that breaks the camel’s back will always be the ‘last straw’, whether it be the first or 17,146,852,311th straw, since any straw thereafter would be the ‘first straw after breaking the camel’s back.’

Or something.

Also, it might be a tiny weak baby camel. Or an old, unhealthy, and weak camel.

Or it might not be a real camel. It might be a camel constructed out of cheddar cheese. Or steel. Or even straw.

Invalid hypothesis. As rebuttal, I give the cliche (and Lynyrd Skynyrd album title) “first and last”. ETA :stuck_out_tongue: