How much do coins weigh, en masse?

I throw all my change into a couple of Ragu jars, sorted by type. Pennies in one jar, dimes in another, and so on. To get a rough estimate of how much moolah I had, I figured I could weigh the jars and convert the weight directly into dollars. Haven’t had much luck finding dollars per pound figures for change though. Anyone have a clue?

http://www.kokogiak.com/megapenny/default.asp

Check out this interesting article from Fortune. It says a quarter is 5.7 grams and a penny is 2.5 grams. Don’t know about the other coins, though.

As I recall, the “silver” coins (quarters and dimes) have the same “value density”, as do the “base” coins (nickle and penny). In other words, a dollar’s worth of quarters would weigh the same as a dollar’s worth of dimes, and a dollar in nickles would weigh the same as a dollar in pennies. I think that the Kennedy half-dollars might have had the same “density” as the quarter, hence the silly-looking size, but I’m not certain about that.

A couple of decades ago, the composition (and hence weight) of the penny was changed; I’m not sure if this rule held for the new or old system. Since you’ve probably got a good number of old pennies in there, though, you wouldn’t be able to expect accuracy, anyway.

Here’s what the US Mint has to say:

Penny: 2.5 grams

Nickel: 5.0 grams

Dime: 2.268 grams

Quarter: 5.670 grams (this may have changed with the state quarters)

Half Dollar: 11.340 grams

Susan B. Anthonay Dollar: 8.1 grams

Sacagawea Dollar: 8.1 grams
Using that as a base, a pound of quarters should be about $20.00, a pound of dimes is about $20.00, a pound of nickels is about $4.55, and a pound of pennies would be about $1.81.

Forgot to add that Chronos was on to something:

A pound of dimes, quarters, and even half dollars all have the same value.

As for the pennies and nickels, well, he’s was at least half right. :smiley:

Well, that’s pretty interesting. We didn’t know the numbers, but this issue comes up in D&D games, because under the older rules, ten gold coins weighed a pound). Obviously, that’s silly. But we’ve been using the rate of 50 coins per pound for years, and this data seems to validate it, since presumably a gold coin would weigh around as much as a dollar, and at this rate it takes 65 quarters to make a pound, or 46 Sacky-G’s.