How Much Do You Budget For Groceries Per Week?

No answer. My gf and I each stop for groceries on an as needed basis. I never use a cart, just a basket, so I am limited by that. But I usually stop every other day. I guess cost is not a limiting factor for our grocery shopping.

$200 for five humans, three dogs and two cats just for groceries. Some weeks I need a little more but rarely do I need less.

I’m hoping with our garden and new freezer we may be able to spend a little less, but I’m sure I’ll find something new to need to make up for that.

I spend about $1000.00 per month for four people. One of them is in diapers, so that adds quite a bit to the cost. Also, both of my kids drink a ton of milk, so I buy organic which is about $10.00 for 4 litres and lasts about 2 days.

We also have a large dog and a cat, so they add to the cost as well.

$150-$200 for three people and four dogs.

We average $120 a week for a family of 3 and a half (the youngest is just starting solids) and one cat.

The most expensive things are diapers, produce and organic milk - like kathmandu, I’ve got a boy who drinks a ton, so it doesn’t last long. Since we had a baby recently and I work, I haven’t had a chance to expand my garden like I’d hoped, so while we’ll get some relief from the lettuce, blueberries, tomatoes, cucumbers and herbs I planted, we won’t get quite as much as if I’d also had a chance to build another raised bed, plant more veggies and install a rain barrell and compost bin. Fortunately the little one will be walking this time next year, so I can put her to work playing while I and the boy build and plant. :slight_smile:

For a family of five it breaks down like this for us:

[ol]
[li]Groceries - $150.00 a week[/li][li]My Lunch - $75.00 a week (sometimes billable as work expense)[/li][li]Eating Out - $100.00 a week (weekends, mostly)[/li][/ol]
Sometimes we’ll eat out more or hit a nicer restaurant and end up dropping a couple hundred on a weekend, but that’s rare. We enjoy nice meals as a family, so I really think of those occasions as coming from our entertainment budget, not the food budget.

four or five $20-30 bottles a wine per week might throw off the figures.

For real food and assorted miscellaneous , I’d bet the three of us spend about $180 per week in groceries. Maybe more. I don’t really keep track, since every meal we make at home is so much cheaper than every meal we eat at a restaurant.

Jeez, how do people end up spending so much?! I make all my food for myself and seven cats (with top ingredients) and I still spend less than $100 a month ($150 if you include cat litter as part of the grocery bill). Being vegan helps (me, not my cats), but still, I can only see spending more than $100 a month on food if I regularly splurge on a bunch of snacks at Trader Joe’s.

The most I’ve ever spent on a regular basis was 10 years ago as a full time employee (before I started my own business). I’d get up to about $200 a month, but that was because I’d buy mostly prepared foods.

$150-$175 a week for seven people, one baby, and one dog. That includes dog food, household cleaning stuff, personal care items, garbage bags, light bulbs, etc.

That’s not an exact figure of what is spent, because those of us with paying jobs often stop by and pick up something which is needed. Also, any special stuff for the baby (including diapers) is paid for separately by my son.

Interesting thread. I’ve been tracking my food spending as a complement to my weight loss tracking, and although I’ve made observations, I don’t know how I compare to others.

I spend about $80 a week on groceries, for just myself, no pets. I buy what I want, without budgeting. This is on the high end of the per-person rates posted here, but this is the entirety of my food spending. I don’t get food from restaurants.

I’m trying to establish who spends over $200 a week on groceries so I can come and stay and eat lobster :slight_smile:

I’m told it’s about $120-150 a week (my husband does all the groceries…and cooking…no, he has no siblings and you can’t have him!!!)

It impresses me that when we moved in together we got by on about $50 a week for the two of us, occasionally allowing ourselves to go up to $75 for a special, more fancy meal. We live rather well now, especially considering that I’m back in school and not really contributing much. When I graduate next year…watch out! :wink:

We don’t have a budget. And I really have no idea how much we spend (wife takes care of it).

If you exclude vintage champagne, Cuban cigars and gas for the Lamborghini , then I’m quite frugal.

When I first moved to Jackson in 1989, my budget for groceries/household supplies was $30 a week (for myself, a 3-yr old and a 6-month old). I can’t imagine how I did it.

I deliberately excluded hookers so everyone could see I was a paragon of virtue. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 of us, we probably average about $50-60 per week. Sometimes as high as around $80 when we need stuff like laundry detergent and the like. We don’t really budget it, we just spend what we need to.

Probably between $100-$150 for myself, 4 dogs & 2 cats. That includes food, cat litter, toiletries, and gas for my van.

For me and the cat it’s $40 a week for just food, not counting toiletries. I am really astonished at the average per person in this thread! I don’t make a serious effort to eat cheaply- just my unofficial budget- and I live in an expensive city, yet my average comes way under most of you guys.

For food only, I spend about $100 per week for a family of 5 people and 1 large dog. (One of the people is only 2 months old, though, and nurses exclusively, so her part of the food budget is the extra few calories I need daily to nourish her.) The dog gets top-quality dog food, at about $50 per month. During the school term, I buy individual packs of things like fruit, crackers, pudding, juice, yogurt, etc. for lunch boxes. Typically, I’ll also spend another $20-$40 per week on toiletries, diapers, paper goods, etc. We average eating out about once per week, and all other meals are from home.