(How much) Do you tip movers?

As some of you may know, AudreyK and I are moving to Washington state in a week( :eek: ). We’re using a moving company (which, considering we’re moving from Hawaii is suprisingly affordable), and, well, I was wondering how much we should tip them.

I mean, they’re charging us over a thousand bucks, so 15% is a tad much, IMHO. We were thinking $10/person, assuming there’s not, say, 30 of 'em. Does this sound about right, too much, or is it not reward enough, considering that we have several hundred pounds of stuff that I nearly died moving over the course of two days? Or are movers one of those professions that unwritten social mores just don’t deem tip worthy? (I doubt that’s the case but, hey, you never know.)

On a side note, the process of moving sucks.

If there’s thirty movers then i would think that 10-50 each would be enough. If there’s considerably less I would think more like 100 each. By considerably less I mean 1-5.

I don’t know though because you are paying an awfully lot.

AND just how are you going to live in Hawaii? You rich or something?

I think we always tipped around 5-10 per mover, depending on the number of movers. We also made sure that they had cold drinks and bought them lunch. I wouldn’t go more than that, regardless of the number of movers. (Mrs. ShibbOleth always handled this, so I’ll double check with her). FWIW, we’ve moved ALOT, both domestically and internationally, and nobody’s ever seemed disappointed with this.

To be honest, if it comes down to having to give them lunch, it had better be two guys or less. See, we’re moving out of our respective folks’ places (from Hawaii to Washington, ftr), and don’t have too much to move.

Not to give a laundry list of stuff to steal or anything, but other than a love seat, a leather chair, and a wooden chest, there probably isn’t anything that weighs more than 50 pounds (and only a handful of items anywhere near 50 at that). I mean, seriously, given a hand truck and a steady supply of water I could probably load things into their truck in about two hours. This doesn’t include packing into boxes time, but still.

$50-100? :eek:

Several thoughts ran through my head when I read this. The highlights:

1. There better not be more than one of them.
  2. For that kind of tippage, can I be the person who does, like, everything for you?
    Me, I was planning on cold drinks and $10 each for 4 or less movers.

I’m not sure what time the movers are coming, so I’m not sure making/buying them lunch will fit. Also, my dad, the carpet installer, has had customers make/buy him lunch before, and he’s always hesitant to accept it. Sometimes he’s got his own lunch or lunch plans, or doesn’t care for the food. So I don’t want to foist food upon the movers and have them not want it but not want to tell me that, y’know?

This is not always, just we’ll ask before lunch time do they want us to order them pizza (Dominoes or whatever). If not, then no problem. But I’d say definitely cold drinks.

I have never, ever even considered tipping the people who move my stuff.
And I’ve never even heard of anyone tipping movers.

All I’ve done is make sure there’s something around to drink if it’s cold.

I tip movers. Several moves ago I decided I would never move my own stuff again. It’s difficult, nasty work and I’d rather someone else did it.

I generally tip $20 a person. Though on one memorable occasion (they were moving all my stuff out to the country) I tipped $20 each, a case of Rolling Rock and the Tonya Harding issue of Penthouse.

I tip movers. Several moves ago I decided I would never move my own stuff again. It’s difficult, nasty work and I’d rather someone else did it.

I generally tip $20 a person. Though on one memorable occasion (they were moving all my stuff out to the country) I tipped $20 each, a case of Rolling Rock and the Tonya Harding issue of Penthouse.

I tipped my mover’s about $10/each. I used the excuse that “I was buying the first round of beer tonight.”.

In a previous move, a mover suggested himself, during the check writing, that a small addition as tip was “customary”. I almost didn’t include it as I don’t think it’s his role to suggest that.

-B

I’d never tip someone who would be insistent on deserving a tip even if they’re bigger and in fist’s reach of me. They just lost the tip because they’re mugging with guilt.

I’d suggest getting the movers a decent lunch and a case of beer then give them ten bucks each. If you don’t get them anything, twenty bucks apiece.

I moved recently and tipped each of 3 guys $20 but only offered drinks, no food. They seemed perfectly satisfied.

Twiddle

With that small amount of stuff, I would be surprised if there is more than two guys. It will prolly take them less than an hour to load up the stuff, another 1 to 2 hours if they have to pack. The movers I have used can flat out move. Plus, they get paid by the job, not the hour, so it is in their best interests to be fast.

I join the crowd of $20 tippers. I am embarassed to say I never thought of offering drinks. By the time they show up, my fridge is empty.