How much does a "stone" weigh?

How about 0.384 rods (or poles or perch)? Or - as we are onto horse racing - you could try 19 hands (but this should be measured to the highest point of your withers :smiley: )

*Wanna tell you a story
Bout a woman I know
When it comes to lovin’
Oh, she steals the show
She ain’t exactly pretty
Ain’t exactly small
42-39-56
You can say she’s got it all

Never met a woman
Never met a woman like you
Doin’ all the things
Doin’ all the things you do
Ain’t no fairy story
Ain’t no skin and bone
But you give it all you got
Weighin’ in at nineteen stone

You’re a whole lot of woman
A whole lot of woman
Whole lotta Rosie
*

Courtesy of the late **Bon Scott ** (R.I.P.) and AC/DC.

[QUOTE=duffer]
OTOH, as evidenced by the follow up post you submitted, sometimes it’s just easier to ask it here. That way I avoid determining which of thousands of results to start clicking, and just get a straightforward answer of “stone=14 pounds”.

Google has its place. But every now and again an OP takes fewer keystrokes to get the answer. Plus people get to look smart by just answering a question.

And really, wouldn’t you rather get credit for answering a question than Goolge? I tend to trust more what I read here in GQ than the results of keywords entered on a search engine. :wink:
[/QUOTE]

Gazpacho was simply letting you know of a (very useful) tool that can be used to convert units. If you type x “units” in y “another unit”, into google, the google calculator will pop up, no need to search any links. For example, yesterday I had no clue how big a hectare was. 1 hectare in acres gives about 2.5 acres. Problem solved. He/she wasn’t trying to tell you to just go google it next time, simply sharing a tool with you.

[QUOTE=duffer]
Standing at 6’ 4" what measurement can I use?
[/QUOTE]

1.9304 x 10[SUP]10[/SUP] angstroms
1.290392698 x 10[sup]-11[/sup] astronomical units

[QUOTE=Pygmy Rugger]
He/she wasn’t trying to tell you to just go google it next time, simply sharing a tool with you.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, I realize that. Perhaps there was too much snark in the comment?

Point is, had I Googled it, how would I have ever known what my height is in angstroms and astronomical units?!?

This is much more fun and informative. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=jjimm]
Side note: the plural of stone (weight) is “stone”. At least venaculararilarily.
[/QUOTE]

What’s the plural of “pound”? Is it the same as with money, in which “pound” seems to be both the singular and plural forms? And is it different in written vs spoken English? In the US, as I’m sure you know, it’s always “pounds” for the plural, unless you’re talking about a “20 pound sack”-- which holds 20 pounds of whatever.

[QUOTE=John Mace]
What’s the plural of “pound”? Is it the same as with money, in which “pound” seems to be both the singular and plural forms?
[/quote]

For money, pounds is the proper plural, although some dialects will use pound in informal spoken situations.

Same here.

[QUOTE=Sage Rat]
Tangental, but there is no better conversion application than Josh Madison’s Convert. You can convert stone to pennyweight, attojoules to poundal-feet, or just about any other known measurement to any other related unit. It could only be better if it could do real-time currency conversion…
[/QUOTE]
Google doesn’t know poundals, but it does currency conversion. And you can access it from almost all cell phones with SMS (but USA and Canada only, apparently).

[QUOTE=gazpacho]
google is really good for this. Searching for things like 1 stone in pounds. Gets you the google calculator which does all sorts of conversions.
[/QUOTE]

Man, since I got those new tires, I’m getting almost 8.26065321x10^6 firkins per rod.

[QUOTE=duffer]
Standing at 6’ 4" what measurement can I use?
[/QUOTE]

6.43912129 × 10[sup]-9[/sup] light-seconds

[QUOTE=Bryan Ekers]
6.43912129 × 10[sup]-9[/sup] light-seconds
[/QUOTE]

I’m almost afraid to ask how that’s calculated. Or even what it means in lay terms.

Because I’m going to use it.

[QUOTE=duffer]
I’m almost afraid to ask how that’s calculated. Or even what it means in lay terms.

Because I’m going to use it.
[/QUOTE]

One light-second is how far light travels in one second, or aprox 3 * 10^8 meters or 186,000 miles. A light-year is used to measure distances of stars, other galaxys, etc.

[QUOTE=Pygmy Rugger]
One light-second is how far light travels in one second, or aprox 3 * 10^8 meters or 186,000 miles. A light-year is used to measure distances of stars, other galaxys, etc.
[/QUOTE]

In a vacuum light travels at c (which in handy units is very roughly one foot per nanosecond), but it’s less in other media depending on refractive index. So your height will be measured as a few more fractions of a light second if you’re underwater, or encased in a giant diamond. (Note that your height doesn’t actually change noticeably unless you are travelling head or feet first at an appreciable fraction of c).

I better go to bed now I think.

2.04047799 × 10[sup]-16[/sup] light-years is better. After all, the light-year is actually used by astronomers. No-one uses light-seconds in any context that I know of.

[QUOTE=Alive At Both Ends]
Intensive research in my fridge reveals a milk bottle labelled “1.136 litres; 2 pints” (bought at my local Budgens store). But I admit I had to go and check. If I’m wrong about litre bottles, well, it’s not the first time.
[/QUOTE]

Damn, now I can’t remember the Tesco sizes, there’s a pint, two and three litre containers and one between those two groups. There was definitely a taller bottle used for milk deliveries to our house and we stopped those over a decade ago.

Are the ‘taller’ delivery bottles the glass ones? If so, they were pints, but replaced with stubbier ones of the same capacity.

As an incidental note, the new Battlestar Galactica has used “stone” as a measure of human weight, evidently tired of using phony-baloney units like “macrons” and whatnot.

[QUOTE=Pushkin]
Damn, now I can’t remember the Tesco sizes, there’s a pint, two and three litre containers and one between those two groups.
[/quote]
Tesco sizes at my nearest store are labelled on one side of the container like so:

1.136 litres/2 pints
2.272 litres/4 pints
3.408 litres/6 pints.

Both metric and imperial measures are printed on the label in the same size font.

On the other three sides of each container appear the figures 2, 4 and 6 respectively.

There may be a 0.568 litres/1 pint container but, if there is, I’ve never bought one.

[QUOTE=Alive At Both Ends]
2.04047799 × 10[sup]-16[/sup] light-years is better. After all, the light-year is actually used by astronomers. No-one uses light-seconds in any context that I know of.
[/QUOTE]

Light-seconds are used when trying to break up a light-year, for measuring smaller objects. Just like feet are broken up into inches for measuring things on the molecular level.

[QUOTE=Pygmy Rugger]
Light-seconds are used when trying to break up a light-year, for measuring smaller objects. Just like feet are broken up into inches for measuring things on the molecular level.
[/QUOTE]

Used by whom? Astronomers use kilometres or Astronomical Units (AU) for measuring objects in this size range. I have yet to find an astronomy site which quotes distances in light-seconds.