How Much Does Mother Nature Hate Where YOU Live?

Nope. The mosquitos and snakes and such really aren’t as bad as Georgia or Florida, in my experience. Yellow fever is long gone, and you have to go pretty far into the back country to find malaria. The ticks don’t carry Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, or anything else. Cripes, even the water here is safe to drink - you’re unlikely to get Montezuma’s revenge in 95% of the country. And unless you spend a lot of time out in the jungle, you’re not likely to pick up exotica like botflies or leishmaniasis.

Of course, lots of tropical places are bad that way - West Africa creeps me out because of all of the potential nasty diseases there.

Eve, didn’t you learn anything from John Corrado’s last pit thread? There is no “mother nature”.

God created the Earth! It’s His! He owns it and everything in it! And if He wants to, He’ll destory it with His righteous anger!

Come on, now.

What rastahomie said, with a few modifications. Far north western Illinois, here; northern prarie, right on the Mississippi River.

The climate’s just extreme, y’know? IRC, a departing offical from the Australian consulate in Chicago said he’d miss the people but it was the most godawful climate he’d ever lived in. If the sweltering summers don’t kill ya the subzero winters just might. I hadn’t thought about in terms featherlou used but her words rang that with that “aha!” moment of truth. You adapt to the cold, learning what’s merely uncomfortable versus what’s dangerous. Same with the heat, actually.

Flooding can be a bear around here. We’ve had two “century” floods within a decade. It doesn’t help that we’re prone to crashing, wrath-of-god storms that can pack a helluva punch in wind, lightning and rain. (Local joke: what’s Canada’s primary export? weather fronts. “A Canadian front is sweeping down…”) A good Alberta Clipper, i.e. a storm with towering clouds, black as pitch underneath and dumping rain, lightning and pure hell, can send small rivers and streams out of their banks within a few hours.

Those sudden floods are the killers. People underestimate how how deep the water is on roads and highways and try to drive through it. Two years ago a local man drowned in his car in the middle of the city. The road dipped under an overpass, he saw what he thought was a broad puddle and tried to drive through it. It was over 6’ deep of swirling water and he died before rescue workers could get him out. Two hours later it was gone; the storm drains just couldn’t handle the onslaught.

I’ve gotten somewhat used to tornados, as much as anyone can. (Watched, trapped in a highrise, when a tornado took out Sayler Park in Cinti. years ago.) It’s fairly common around here to see the funnels, some just trying to form and others reaching the ground. The warning system is good, though. The alarm sirens are tested each week starting in spring. If you hear it sound anytime else (11 a.m. on Tuesdays here) it means bad trouble.

The National Weather service issues 1.watches, conditions are favorable to brew tornados and 2. warnings, tornados have been spotted in the general area. The sirens mean the tornados are very close. Since they move so fast there’s no time to waste.

Eve: If you’re inside, get into the basement. If you don’t have a basement, get into a room with no windows and the strongest walls, or under the heaviest piece of furniture in the house. Pull mattresses, etc. around your shelter if possible. If outside, get out of your car; they blow and roll like Tinker Toys. Then go to ground, just as close to buried as you can get. Lay flat in the deepest ditch you can find and shelter your head with your arms. The windblown debris is the killer; everything from straw to glass to miscellaneous junk turns into shrapnel. Your best protection is solid earth or sound walls. If it’s a direct hit you’re only realistic hope for survival is to be completely underground and wait for rescue workers to dig you out.

My, that was depressing, wasn’t it? Actually they’re magnificent to watch as long as you aren’t in the direct path.

Veb

At the moment I am living in the state of Maine- and i am ready to move…3 months ago they had something called
“gale force” winds( I had no clue what this was before i moved here) AT around midnight A police officer knocks on my door and says there is a sign on my car. A huge gas station sign was blown down by the wind and landed on my car. The front end was smashed. SO there it sat til the next day when it was to be towed to the autobody to be fixed. There it was hit by a man sliding on the ice in one of those big trucks that you see people working on power lines( I am just now getting this fixed as the man claimed he only hit on teeny weeny part of the car and had to threaten to take them to court) Now lets fast forward a month- had just got the car back-the front end was all fixed. Real windy day that day and while driving past a mountain the wind blew a rock into my windsheild and cracked it. The very next day I was at walmarts where a woman came and found me and said she was soooo sorrry but she had just dented my car because the wind caught her car door and slammed it into my car when she opened it. I think me and the car might be better on the west coast than the east!

Delaware isn’t much for extreme weather. It’s a very moderate climate. But we do get hit hard once and awhile.

-We’ve gotten really dense fog before. Last time we got really bad fog there were two separate 50+ car pileups. One of my good friends was in it- she wasn’t hurt, thankfully.

-DE is almost all at sea level. We get flooding sometimes, which is just no fun.

-Then there’s Nor’Easters. You’d think the ocean had epilepsy when they happen… massive property damage, the boardwalk gets torn to bits, and the sand gets everywhere. (Beachfront property owners? When your fricking house gets totalled every few years, there is an underlying message.

-Quietgirl tells me that there’s a blizzard coming. We get massive drifting (comes from being flat). DE has no snow management… two inches and they close school. This should be interesting.

Anything we can do to help out; what are neighbours for, after all? :smiley:

Hey, that sounds like Michigan! We had a beautiful 53 degree day on Saturday, sun, blue skies, etc. and today we’re expecting snow.

The saying here in MI is “If you don’t like the weather, just wait a few minutes. It’ll change.”