How much pressure does the MLBPA put on FA to accept top $$$

No he got the same money from the Yankees as he agreed to with Texas. Eventually he was able to opt out his deal, per a clause in the contract, and become a free agent. At that point the was able to negotiate a new one.

Here is an article from that time talking about why there is a significant difference between agreeing to a lower contract and agreeing to a pay cut

Bumping this thread because Tony La Russa weighed in on the issue today in regard to Albert Pujols. Of course La Russa isn’t a neutral party here, but it may be of interest.

Tony Gwynn has said that, the first few times he had a chance to become a free agent, the union leaned on him heavily to play out his option and get big bucks elsewhere. But after he’d signed his second renewal with the Padrres, the union got the message that he was very happy in San Diego, and didn’t want to leave. They didn’t bother him after that.

My sense is, the union only cares about a handful of superstar free agents. If a good-but-not-great player loves Kansas City and is willing to take a pay cut to stay with the Royals, the union won’t care. But a guy like Tony Gwynn had the potential to get the kind of HUGE contract that would eventually trickle down and elevate salaries for EVERYBODY.

A star with THAT kind of clout can’t give a “hometown discount” without getting an earful from Don Fehr.

Albert Pujols, as the best player in MLB, COULD change the prevailing salary structure if he breaks the bank with his next contract. The union would LOVE for that to happen, even if Albert really wants to stay in St. Louis.

I don’t quite understand this reasoning. If i’m going to pay Albert north of $30 million a year (or whatever his value might be), i’m doing it precisely because he’s Albert Pujols, and not Adam LaRoche.

I guess i understand that a huge contract might place upward pressure on all salaries, but it seems to me that giving too much money to a mediocre player could have just as much effect. If i were a journeyman who could steal bases, but had no power and average on-base ability, i wouldn’t be pointing to Alex Rodriguez or Albert Pujols in order to support my claims for a big salary; i’d be asking why i shouldn’t get the same $40m/5yr contract that Juan Pierre managed to get with a career OPS+ of 86.

mhendo-I think the Werth deal is an example of what you’re talking about, though I agree wholeheartedly with astorian.

[quote=“astorian, post:43, topic:559883”]

Tony Gwynn has said that, the first few times he had a chance to become a free agent, the union leaned on him heavily to play out his option and get big bucks elsewhere.

You have a cite for this?

Well, maybe an NHL star.