How much should I expect to pay for a 40min cab ride in New Orleans?

We’re Flying into NO on monday and going to the cruise terminals aprox 16 miles from the airport.

Anyone have an idea how much that could possibly cost for a cab ride?

I was going to reserve a “shuttle” but tickets were something like 40 dollars per person (we’re bringing 2 kids too) so I’m sure a cab will be chaeper.
Also, keeping in mind that we’ll have tons of luggage, we have almost the whole day to blow in NO. Anything I should not miss?

Thanks. :slight_smile:

I remember New Orleans having a flat rate for fares from the airport. It was $18 when I was there about 15 years ago, based on this site it’s $24 (up to 2 passengers w/ $10 per additional passenger.) Not sure if they’ll count the kids in that. Probably.
http://new-orleans.travelape.com/travel/new-orleans-taxicab-guide/

As far a what to do, I would recommend focusing on having just one really delicious meal. That way you won’t be stressing out. It’s a tough city to get your bearings in in a short time, and it’s not the kind of place you can leave any luggage unattended.

If you have time or appetite only for a snack, not a meal, I recommend coffee and beignets (sugar covered doughnuts) at Cafe du Monde.

Cafe Du Monde is outdoors and it will be a good 90 degrees with 100% humidity. Try Cafe Beignet at 1031 Decatur St right up the road. While not exactly close to the terminal, it’s not very far.

Your best bet is to call a few cab companies and get prices. You pay extra when getting a cab at the airport.

As long as nothing has changed in the last year or so, it’s actually a fixed fare. If you send me an e-mail, I can give you a few numbers for reliable drivers.

As for what not to miss, the aquarium is very, very cool - especially with small ones

Thanks for the responses guys (or gals). It looks like the worse case scenario is that I’ll pay much less than the shuttle. I was worried about spending all my cash on cab fare. :eek:

Thanks again.