How much sleep do you need?

I survive on about 5-6 hours (ahh, college) with a good dose of caffeine in the mornings and afternoons.

But I need 7-8. Maybe 9. Not more, or else I get a headache. Over break I consistently went to bed after midnight and got up between 8-9…it was great, never felt so well rested.

I have yet to determine an adequate amount of sleep for myself. I have never woken up once without wanting to go back to sleep immediately. theoretical estimates place my optimal sleep amount at somewhere between 24 and 72 hours. That said, I generally get about 6-7 a night.

I get around 8 a night. I need about ten to function properly.

It was Leonardo da Vinci, and you are correct about that. He was able to function very well under those conditions, so I have read. I actually recall a Seinfeld episode where Kramer decided to try this sleep theory and ended up nodding off randomly throughout the episode, ultimately ending up falling asleep on top of his girlfriend who, in turn, thought he was dead and had her mafia friends toss him into a river. Funny stuff.

Your logic here may be a little flawed (perhaps you’re muddled from lack of sleep?:)) Just because you can survive on so little sleep, doesn’t mean you don’t need more. Maybe a kind of comparison would be that you could survive, indefinitely, on 800 calories a day, but you wouldn’t be healthy. Sleep deprivation has been known to lead to increased reaction time in driving situations, and can weaken your immune system (I read this stuff in all kinds of reputable papers and mags, but am sure I could produce cites if anyone needs them). Believe me, I understand about having newborns! But once Li’lphyre starts sleeping for longer periods of time, you’ll feel ever so much better!

Best of luck with your new one!

Oh, forgot to answer the OP. I feel best on 8, most nights only get 6.5 to 7. Can function on 4 or 5. But if I get less than 6.5 for more than a few nights in a row, I turn into a raging bitch!

I go to sleep when I get tired. I wake up at 6:30. Usually between 4-6 hours a night, and 1-2 an afternoon :slight_smile:

When I can sleep as long as I want, I sleep 8-9 hours. Most nights (including many weekends) I sleep 6-7, and I’m fine, I function normally, whatever. I can get through a work day on 4 hours without many ill effects, but I’m ready to crash within two ours of getting home.

I need and get 5 to 6 hours of sleep. I am, however, married to someone who needs his 8 hours of sleep, which makes for some interesting mornings.

On a related note, I strangely believe that I have chosen to be someone who needs less sleep. I remember hearing a guest lecture by a judge who said he only slept 4 to 5 hours a night and commented how much more productive he was as a result.

Now if I could only get down that being productive part of the equation…

Well, if it’s not too many nights in a row, I can get away with 2 or 3.

If it is, I need 4.5.

If there’s no alarm, I’ll sleep an easy 12.

Oh…

I misread the title.

I thought you said Sheep.

:smack:

never mind

Way more than I’m currently getting.

In all seriousness, though: I generally sleep five or six hours when left to my own devices, but am generally tired. I can function on 3 or 4 (or none, although it’s quite painful), and more than 8 hours (unless I’ve done the ‘none’ thing the night before) will make me very muzzy headed.

I have devised an exacting equation. I need 7.5 hours of sleep, plus the amount of time spent at the gym that day. I.e., 1.5 hours working out, I will need 9 hours of sleep. I just don’t function if I get less than 7 for more than 1-2 nights, so I make sure to sleep lots.