How much would you spend on medical bills for your cat, before letting it die?

Depending upon what was required and the prognosis, I’d probably go to $200 or $300, but not over that - so I picked the 3rd choice. I spoil my critters, canine and feline, but if one of them was in that bad shape, I’d rather have it put down and eventually adopt another.

I would think that the prognosis should weigh in terms of not prolonging the animal’s suffering.

One of the things our pets try to teach us is that death is not something to be feared. We each of us, great and small, have our time and it will come no matter what we do to avoid it. It will always come too soon for our beloved pets. But when their time comes, it’s our duty to recognize that and to let them go peacefully before their suffering becomes too great.

When did I accuse you of racism? I just said that your analogy made no sense.

That’s understandable. It’s hard to compare a human to an animal, but some people in this thread don’t find find it difficult at all.

The OP wasn’t posted in your thread. Because your cat’s sick, there should be a moratorium on all cat threads on the board? Go propose that over in the ATMB forum.

I don’t have a pet, but if I did the answer would be zero. I can’t afford to go to the doctor myself; that bitch is on its own.

Lulz!!!

We paid $700 to get a diagnosis of arthritis for a 13 year old cat a couple of years ago. Other than the arthritis, she’s perfectly healthy (we got the full package for $700, so we know how healthy she is), and that was her first vet visit since her spaying operation 13 years ago (I think - have to check with the hubster). I was okay with paying that much then; I don’t think I’d be okay with paying it every year.

I do try to put her condition in human terms, too - an old lady with arthritis in her shoulders and hips wouldn’t feel great, but I don’t think they’re ready to die from the pain (as far as I know - someone with chronic arthritis might have a different take on it), and she does get some meds for it which seems to help quite a bit.

I said up to $1000 in the poll (since we had already paid $700 and I didn’t regret it), but like others are saying, it totally depends on the cat and the situation. Our wobbly old lady who is 15 years old now - sorry, but her next medical problem is probably her last, if it isn’t something like a bad tooth that can easily be pulled. If it were a young cat who needed thyroid meds and regular check-ups - well, I’d have to evaluate that at the time.

ETA: I also wanted to say that not offering the same humane end of life treatments for humans that we do for animals is shameful. When someone wants nothing more than to die, that should be honoured.

Exactly, and if a human makes that choice for themselves, we also generally respect that choice. A pet cannot communicate that choice to us.

Honest question here. Do actually believe that a cat has the reasoning ability to think out the choice of life and death?

Maybe not reasoning, but more instinctual - an animal nearing death will often go off on their own, refuse food and water, that kind of thing. We don’t do an animal that is refusing food and water any favours if we forcefeed it and give it an IV, if it’s too sick to live much longer. Again, it depends on the situation - a young cat who can recover completely if given an IV is a different situation than an 18 year old one who is ready to go, but her owner won’t let her.

I got Chicken for about $150 from a shelter. Included vaccinations and neutering which is about what I’d pay my vet for the same services. We can have the discussion that “responsible” pet owners will spay/neuter and vaccinate so it’s not like replacement is entirely free. Yeah, there are places in town that will do it for cheap or free, but I couldn’t use their resources in good conscience while I have the ability to pay for it myself. Anyways…Not really free.

That said, however, there is a limit to what makes sense and the limit is going to depend on the pet, the owner, the prognosis and the means. I’ve had to make the call twice so far.

Matchka had a problem with crystals in his urine. It was obviously painful and required an overnight hospital visit. Changing his diet wasn’t an option because if we gave him the corrective kitty chow, his normally healthy pridemate would eat it and develop a similar condition. The first time we had him treated we were not prepared for what it was going to cost. But we said we loved him and dished out like $500 and got him repaired. Couple years later he was yowling in pain at 10:00 pm Sunday so we took him to the late night kitty ER. They did their ER do and gave me a bill for something crazy like $750 and said we need to get him to the regular vet for the regular $500 treatment. And this time his kidneys were probably fried as well. I hate to say it, but it was a no-brainer. $50 got him euthanized and put into a comemorative can of ashes which I’m reasonably sure are his.

Merlyn was 15 years old and routinely helped me with the bills, put the kids to bed and even did my taxes for a couple years before I found out he was depreciating non taxable items he brought forth from the previous tax year. On his last day as a cat he was down to 5 pounds (from 15) and couldn’t move his hind legs that morning. Vet asked if we wanted to run some tests to find out what was wrong and treat the malady. $75 for a can of ashes to put next to Matchka. Nicer can, inflation, etc.

It’s not a hard and fast rule, but I’ll not readily part with more than $500 for a sick cat. Broken bones, amputations–mechanical problems with a decisive, one-time fix? Maybe up to $1,000. Manufacturer’s defects though? We’re getting a can of ashes and a kitten.

I agree.

So if instincts guides those cats on the brink of death after a long life, do younger cats that are struck at an early age with some complicated illness, that is treatable with modern vetinary medicine, fight for the lives? Do they feel betrayed by those owners that may choose to have their ashes put in a nice can, simply because their budget can’t afford the treatment?

That’s a nice way to phrase the distinction.

We have two outdoor cats, one of which we’ve had for 10 years. If one gets sick and dies, it’s not a big deal. Cats are free. I’ll just get another one. So I chose “Not a dime.”

I’d hesitate to put myself through chemo, much less a pet. But I know I’d spend at least $500 but not much more than that, to keep my cat alive (assuming a good prognosis), mostly because she’s such an unusually great cat. Not all cats are the same, they actually have different personalities, Omar. Some are extremely annoying, some are aggressive, some, like our dear Wally, are lovely, calm, sleep quietly at night, and play with the dogs.

A lot of how much I’d be willing to spend depends on my current financial situation. I would not put myself into debt for a pet. Right now $500 out of our account would suck, but not kill us or anything. If I was a millionaire, my answer would be different.

What kind of asshole would put someone through the hell of chemo just so they go through the worse hell of dying from Alzheimer’s? At least the cancer would probably kill you fast.

As for what we’re willing to spend on one of the critters, it depends on the situation. We’ll spend a lot more to fix a hip in a young, otherwise healthy pet who will have a pretty normal life afterward than to treat chronic renal failure in a geriatric. Though we did spend a fair bit on a geriatric cat with concurrent renal failure and diabetes because there was a chance of stabilizing her and giving her a few more years of pretty normal life. Yeah, it would have been cheaper to get a new kitten, the same way it’s cheaper to buy a new mixer or tv than to fix the old one. But Moo wasn’t an appliance, she was a living, breathing being with thoughts and feelings. More importantly, she was my friend.

I like my animals a lot. That’s why I choose to live with them. I don’t think they’re human, but they’re more to me than just walking meat. I see them as friends, and like my human friends they get special treatment and consideration, just because they’re mine. So, yes, I would pay, and have paid hundreds for vet treatment, just as I would pay for medical treatment for a dear friend who I had agreed to take care of.

For a cat, like other posters, I would base what I’m willing to spend on the prognosis and quality of life expected from treatment.

It’s a bit sad to me that some people see their cats as completely replaceable, and sad that they are considered disposable pets by some. I’m lucky, I guess, to have good cats and to have had a couple of really special cats in my life over the years.

Are you really unaware that people can care about their pets to the level of a substantial financial burden?

I agree with the other poster that doubts the intent of the OP.

I wouldn’t associate on a friendly basis with someone that had such an empathy deficit.

I can understand not being able or willing to care for an animal more than for a replaceable object. I do NOT understand being unable to understand that others do.