How often do Torah scholars have other technical occupations?

I know about a guy who is a Torah scholar (I’m not really sure whether or not there’s a term for this - Jewish Dopers can help me out here) but that is training to be a lawyer.

As far as I can tell he studies the law by day and Torah by night. I wondered how much time he can invest to both activities, and whether or not he just spends his entire existence in study.
As I was told (by a Jewish friend of mine - can’t really determine his religious status since I have no idea about that stuff) a full Torah scholar studies practically all the time.

I was wondering how long this guy studies (the Torah) and whether or not it qualifies him as a “Torah scholar”.
Is it possible to be a Torah scholar and have other occupations in the running (say for example, to be a doctor AND a Torah scholar)?

And what kind of hours do they study?

What I mean is that obviously working in a full time job takes up a lot of time. So how do they squeeze in the hours? When do they really get the time to study? And are they considered Torah scholars by the rest of the Jewish community?

Apparently they can have another job. This site has the answer to your question, I think.

Apparently, you need to be the disciple of a recognized Torah scholar:

A friend of mine in grade school was a member of the Lubuvitch sect… very orthodox Jews who basically try to get less religious Jews to be more observant. His father was the local Lubuvitch rabbi, and I asked him once if he studied Torah to live, or lived to study Torah?

His reply: “Is there a difference?”

I figured once was studying JUST enough to get by, the other was utter devotion to the studying. I guess some see that as the same thing.

Not a direct answer to your question, but a viewpoint that, much as I disagreed with it, I found interesting.

A man met his daughter’s fiancé for the first time, and asked, “So, what do you do?”
The young man replied, “I study Torah.”
The father said, “That’s very nice. Uh, what do you do for a living?”
“I don’t worry too much about money; God will provide.”
“After you get married, how will you support your family?”
“I’m not worried; God will provide.”
“And if you should have children–How will you support them?”
“Oh, I’m sure God will provide.”
The father smiled, excused himself, and went to see his wife. “Dear, I’ve got good news and bad news. The bad news is he’s got no job, no money, and no plans. The good news is he thinks I’m God!”

Seriously, the old-fashioned viewpoint is that you have to have another occupation. Using religion to earn your living was thought to be dishonorable, like evicting your grandmother because she can’t afford your rent increase. We should serve God because He’s God, not for hope of worldly gain. Hillel, one of the greatest theologians in all of Jewish history, was a wood cutter. Of course, this millennia-old position hasn’t made it to the modern age unscathed, but your lawyer-cum-Torah scholar is certainly in excellent company. And, no, I don’t know where he or Hillel finds/found the time, either.

The Rambam follows the opinion of Rabbi Yishmael:

Laws of Talmud Torah, 3:10.