How often do you shut down your computer?

Home: Several laptops and 2 desktops (which belong to the younger kids); all XP – All are shut off when we go away for more than a few days. Laptops get shut off if being transported out of the house (they stay on when moving between rooms, of course.) Reboots happen as required, I suppose several times a month for each computer. None of them are shut down on a regular basis when we’re at home.
I have zero idea about another laptop, which is my eldest daughter’s, at school (boarding)…

Work: Windows Server 2003 (don’t ask) – since it essentially does work as a “server” (for development) at least part of the time, and since I need to be able to access it remotely now and then, it never gets shut down. Reboots happen as necessary, probably about once a month or less, on average.

Windows XP laptop. Shut down every couple of months, I guess? I always use Standby.

i only shut it down for updates or if its going asleep for no reason (and i mean no reason)
so i think the answer is, computers can stay on no problem. but it is a running machine and therefore needs a break
sleep is literally only a stall
although i cant say anything
…cause i just air traveled with mine on standby

MacBook, G5, Mac Pro - I put them to sleep when I go to work or go to sleep; I cycle power every few weeks or so, usually during updates. If it’s a “big” update (e.g., a security update), I run a utility that clears out various cache files (system, file, font, and about a dozen other things), and clears out virtual memory. Then I “repair permissions,” restart and do the installation. Firefox, like most browsers, has memory leaks and is very untidy about its caches, so I usually quit and relaunch Firefox every 2-3 days.

My Vista PC does not stay asleep, so I turn it off whenever I’m finished using it. Probably some setting I haven’t found yet.

Desktop and laptop both running Vista remain on all the time. They handle their own updates and restart as needed. I don’t usually shut them off.

Recently retired XP, and new Windoze 7 laptops are put to sleep nightly as a minimum off state. I’m also more prone to complete power down of the Win7 because it starts up in about a tenth of the time as the old one.

Wife never shuts down her desktop,

I’m another who rarely turns my XP-running laptop off.

How much of an electricity hog is the typical laptop or desktop? Would they use more than say, a tv that’s been left on?

I’ll turn mine off during a bad storm and I’ll restart it if a program needs it, other than that it’s always on.

I don’t shut down my desktop, as I have BOINC projects running on it. Currently, I have the cancer project and SETI@home.

This has been debated a lot and as the OP said, comptuers in the last 10 (especially last 5) are made to be left on.

Test show it’s pretty much the same leaving them off or on.

I restart my computer each morning, but I leave it on. Restarting it will clear out the memory which is helpful with performance.

I shut down my home computer each night before bed.
Work? Gets shut down once a week, on Fridays.

I only shut the computer off if we’re going to be away from home overnight. Otherwise, it is always on. Automatic backups run at 1:00am every night, so it has to be on for that. Also, our music streams from the computer to music systems around the house, so it has to be on for that. I often have it doing something that takes several hours overnight, like compressing video. It’s usually doing something and not just idling.

The PC is in my room, and I can’t the Razer mouse is so bright that if I do not shut-down, I just can’t sleep. Also, the fan of my CPU is so loud that it distract me from sleeping. So I rather shut it down.

And besides, I am renting a room. My landlord has already upped my electricity bill already once.

My home Windows desktop stays on all the time, but forced reboots from Microsoft or other updates usually mean a reboot once a week or so. :rolleyes:

My home Ubuntu lappy shuts down every time, because the hibernate is glitchy and drains my battery. It shuts down and boots so quickly though that it isn’t a hassle. :cool:

My work desktop boots on Monday and turns off on Friday. I have a craptacular amount of servers, synced databases, and applications that take forever to start up, even a leisurely walk to get coffee and chitchat would otherwise still have me waiting to finish booting up. :o (yawny morning pre-coffee smiley)

My desktop only restarts when installing new kernels. (I’m currenly running debian squeeze/sid with linux 2.6.33-rc1 + the HEAD nouveau drivers; last official kernel update broke the proprietary nvidia driver - again). I shut it down when I’m going to be away for more than a day.

My macbook I just close the display when I’m done, and it restarts whenever it crashes or there’s another software update.

Work desktop, SLES 10.2, gets shut off when building power fails only.

Work laptop, Windows 7, when the combined memory leaks of the software I use destroy performance, usually about twice a week, powered off and left powered off never.

Home desktop1, Vista, reboot cycle like the work laptop; powered off at least once a quarter because I need to crack the case to clean the fan filters

Home desktop2, currently ubuntu, is a on again off again machine depending on what I’m using it for.

I usually don’t shut machines down, haven’t for years. I do restarts often enough due to patching or memory leaks that I have relatively little worry about undetected hardware failures causing me data loss. All the servers, of course, are always on, and almost always in use.

Work laptop - only when th power goes down

Home desktop - Only when on vacation

Both run on XP

As for the home desktop, it runs Rhapsody in full random mode on my library every night (12,000 + tunes) - can’t sleep without it

Always on - only the necessary reboots.

I have a machine running OS X 10.3.9 that has gone nearly 3 years without a reboot or shutdown.

All my other machines get rebooted only when necessary for system updates, and only turned off if necessary for hardware upgrades or some such. Otherwise, they just sleep when not in use.

WindowsXP computer is on 24-7.

My Mac G3 hasn’t been on in months. My Windows98 hasn’t been on in a year or so.