How old are you?

Climbed aboard when I was 28, and now I’m 38.

You know, I was going to say something about all the youngins who’ve spent a quarter of their lives here, and then I did the math. I’ve been here for about 22% of my life. :stuck_out_tongue:

So far the poll skews as I expected, though – mostly 30s and 40s. (I am 30-something.)

1. Sex life is getting better by the year, though, so I don’t think I’m going to mind turning 30. 40 might be an issue

That’s why I said we’re mature, but 40 or 50 is not old, I’m sorry to say. It’s just middle-aged.

Back at post #17, jjimm speculated that dopers would be a year older than they were in my poll of a year ago. With 280 votes in this poll (and 600 from last year), the mean has in fact dropped: about 40.5 years last year, and 39.8 years this year. I don’t know how to check if that’s significant statistically, but it does suggest that young people are joining faster than old people are dropping out.

1. But it sounds better in Italian: cinquantuno. Heck, everything sounds better in Italian.

I’ve spent about 22.3% of my life as a Doper. So anyway what do you suppose is the reason for 30- and 40-somethings to dominate so preponderantly?

I’m in great shape for a man of 70. Too bad I’m only 49.

My dad, being a CPA, always made the exact same joke about my sister, also born at the end of December. As a matter of fact, she was induced. But I’m pretty sure that the reason for it being a tax deduction was a joke.

I’m not middle-aged until I’m at least fifty. (I don’t care how irrational that is. :smiley: )

I’m 57.

I turn 29 in about 3 weeks.

Right. So like he said…old.
You old timers may be amused that this summer’s hit dance, the Shuffle (Youtube), is basically a Charleston. You not-so-old timers may be amused that the other half of the dance is just a Running Man. You really-not-so-old timers will recognize it as a modern version of the Melbourne Shuffle.
I giggle at the thought of the young side of this poll dancing off against the “more experienced” side of it and getting crushed.

But you know what they say, 50 is the new 49.

Just turned 47.

And some other data gathering on older Dopers, as well as links to other similar threads, can be seen at

Old Folks: Stand and be counted
03-09-2010, 07:15 AM

Mature is just a synonym for old! When I first joined, I would’ve thought being between 30 and 50 was ancient. Now I am (barely) between 30 and 50. I’ll be 32 and 1/2 later this month, 33 before Xmas.

I’m 33. I was 22 when I joined. So a third of my life on the SDMB. :slight_smile:

19–I’ve been lurking here since…like…maybe 14? It’s taken me ages to register, haha.

I came in here to post that first thread link, and I thought, “I bet that punk NinetyWt is gonna beat me to it!” :stuck_out_tongue:

:smiley:

ETA: I’ll be 36 in a couple of weeks. Still trying to convince my fiancee that, given my family’s lifespan history, I’m well into mid-life crisis mode, and therefore, deserve a 70-inch television. :smiley:

Like fine wine.

Who’s the 90 year old?