How Rich Are Your Tastes?

Okay, we’ve had The “How Cheap Can You Get?” Thread, so I’m wondering how many people are exactly the opposite? Will you pay extra money to get a quality product or service? Are you loyal to certain companies, brands, etc?

I think of cultured pearls as “fake,” because the oytser’s heart wasn’t in it.

I only pay top dollar for bondage products. The inferior stuff doesn’t last long and I end up whipping myself for not spending more money.

The computer’s gotta be a Macintosh. No generic thrown-together generic-parts-o-rama beige Windows “more integration for more bugs” box for me, sorry.

30 year old single-malt scotch for me, thank you. Blended whiskeys are okay for cleaning your tools, I guess.

I think good Lapsang-Soochong tea is well worth the price-- ('Bout thirty bucks CDN a pound.) My friends say if it costs that much it ought to get ya high. The funny part is, it actually does.

Cheap chocolate isn’t chocolate.

Crappy wine isn’t worth drinking… I’ve never been able to figure out why, (unlike scotch, chocolate, and tea,) the quality of wine doesn’t necessarily correspond to the price.

Champagne should be good, or what’s the point (although it doesn’t have to be the most expensive).

Shoes should always be the best quality you can afford.

I always go with Brach’s chocolate covered raisins over raisinets.

Real breasts over fake, any day.

[sub]I seem to have strayed from the original point[/sub]

hmm… I can’t remember the last time I bought instant coffee.
Good wine, beer, whisky, bread, chocolate, and coffee. I’m not rich, but I’ll make sacrifices elsewhere to have those things.

I was checking back, and realized I didn’t answer my own question, so, for the sake of posterity:

I, unfortunately for my checking account balance, have expensive tastes. I was raised to believe that a good quality product (sofa, refrigerator, stereo, etc.) was worth more than a cheap quality product. I prefer to do business with local stores where I know the owners, rather than chain stores, even though the prices may be higher. I’ll eat at a family restaurant rather than a chain. I wouldn’t be caught dead in a Wal-Mart, but then, that might just be personal dislike. :slight_smile: I’m loyal to a business that can answer my questions and takes care of me, rather than worrying about price.

I agree 110%.

Also, I don’t like to wear fake diamonds (not like I can afford real ones anyhow, but still…)

I refuse to buy drugstore makeup. Lipstick and nail polish from Wal Mart or some other type of store is almost always fine, but I have to get my mascara and foundation at department stores. IMHO they have higher quality makeup that lasts longer.

I only have one set of earrings and one necklace, but they’re nice pearls. No other accessories to speak of other than my watch and wedding rings.

You must be the only other person who likes that stuff. I think it’s wonderful, but everybody I’ve offered it to says it tastes like old cigarettes or gearbox oil.

Off the top of my head, I spend extra for good chocolate (Valrhona), good socks (Thorlos), and excellent quality organic fruit at the farmer’s market.

I spend extra for good chocolate, and that’s about it. And I haven’t had any good chocolate in a month, and it makes me sad.

My wife has the uncanny ability to hone in on one item in a store that she’ll like more than any other–turns out, this is always the most expensive thing in the store, even though she didn’t look at the prices beforehand (and often this item is indistinguishable to me from many similar items right next to it).

Fortunately, she never expects me to actually buy these things. :slight_smile: I can’t think of anything I’d pay an extra-special amount for.

If you like good teas try Holy Mountain. They’ve got some nice ones but the price per pound may make you blanch.

My tastes have become rich only where food is concerned I think. I blame my brother the chef for this. I never imagined that Parmigiano Reggiano at $13/lb. would become a necessary staple in my kitchen but it has. I’ve spent more on a single dinner at a fine restaurant than I’d previously spent on groceries for a week. (Not that I can do this often of course.) I once went to a wine tasting dinner at a lovely local place that cost me $125. But oh wow, was it great! I got to sample ten bottles of wine in one night. I’ll do it again if the opportunity arises.

I outspend everyone I know on shoes. I don’t make a lot of money, but I have been known to blow my entire clothing budget for several months on a good pair of boots. The pair I bought in 1987 I still have, and have resoled them numerous times. Just call me Imelda.
I also have a weakness for anything that Ellen Tracy designs, but I have to get it on sale.

Good coffee and chocolate are my expensive tastes, and if you have those what else do you really need?

Good coffee and chocolate votes here, although I have problems finding the good stuff sometimes. For example, I’ve bought kona coffee and have had mixed results (I mean what should be 100% kona, not a kona “blend.”).

Same feeling about beer and wine, although I still get a little queasy when I look at prices for single-malt scotch. Until I sell a novel that hits the best-seller list, that will have to wait.

As a family man, the furniture we’re buying has to be well-made. We found a Mennonite carpenter in the area who makes excellent furniture, and was willing to design a day-bed for my daughter based on my wife’s plans.

We’re also buying art we like as well. My wife’s negotiating with an artist in Charlotte, NC, for a piece of sculpture called “Tuxedo Carrot” that she saw five years ago and has lusted after ever since. That will cost a couple of grand.

We buy shirts, pants, slippers and towels from Land’s End because they’re made from good material and they last. We bought a $60 bathmat from Vermont Country Store’s catalog because it would last (and it has; six years later it looks as good as the day we bought it.) In that respect, we actually SAVE money because the stuff lasts far longer than if we had gone cheap.

It sounds like we’re spendthrifts, but we’ve learned to cut corners and make things last. My Festiva’s 10 years old and paid off, and so’s our six year old van. We haven’t had a TV for three years, so no cable costs, nor rental fees for videos. This lets us splurg on the things that give us the greater pleasures.

These days, shoes, because the expensive ones are the only ones that fit me well.

Mattresses. We spent a lot on our nice-quality, king-sized, pillow-topped, to-die-for mattress. I will never go cheap on a mattress again.

My bicycle: a Cannondale M900. All Shimano XTR brakes, levers, and derailleurs.

With bikes, you usually get what you pay for, which is a little odd because the lighter a bike is the more expensive it will be. Pay more for less! - A slogan that wouldn’t go very far in most other markets.