How shitty are my sogar cookies going to be?

I just mixed up a batch of sugar cookie dough for christmas cookies, and I accidentally used 3/4 teaspoon of baking soda instead of baking powder. The dough is all prepared and refridgerated, so I can’t add anythign else, at this point, right?

How awful are they going to be?

Damn, messed up the title…can’t edit it, either…oh well.

Well, if the cookies taste awful, you can still amuse the kiddies by dunking them in glasses of vinegar and watching the explosions.

Well, they might not be too bad. They’ll probably be either puffier than you wanted or less-puffy than you wanted, and you might get a little bit of a metallic flavor (I can taste it in some recipes when there’s too much soda). I would definitely bake them up anyway, though, just to see what the outcome will be!

The problem is that these are cookies I am going to give away. I guess if they suck I can always just make more. @#$% !!!

Does the unbaked cookie dough taste good? Chances are if it does, then the baked cookies will taste OK too. Just put 4-6 on your first cookie sheet and see how they come out. If they aren’t good, just eat the dough, and make a second batch. :slight_smile:

Baking powder is just baking soda mixed with cream of tartar. Cream of tartar is powdered tartaric acid, which reacts with the baking soda to produce CO2 bubbles, which makes the product fluffy.

Some recipies have enough acid that you don’t need to add extra to get a complete reaction of the baking soda, and so you can just use plain baking soda instead of baking powder. But heat will also cause baking soda to produce CO2. The risk you run is an incomplete reaction of the baking soda, leaving behind an off taste and making the cookies flatter and denser. Just bake a few and try them out. They’ll probably be OK, and sugar cookies aren’t exactly a taste treat anyway.

Frosting covers an array of sins when it comes to sugar cookies…

Ouch, man! :slight_smile:

As it does in so many other aspects of life.

The ratio for baking powder is 1/4 tsp baking soda to 1/2 tsp cream of tartar. So you would have to add 1.5 tsp cream of tartar to your cookie dough and approximately double your other ingredients to have it come out correct.

If the raw dough tastes good, the cookies will taste good. (Wise words in post above.) How much flour and sugar did you use? How many cookies do you expect to get? 3/4 tsp isn’t that much if you used 2 cups of flour and 2 cups of sugar, or something like that.

They might not rise as much as they might otherwise, but they will still be crispy and good, I imagine.

if you used one of those sour cream sugar cookie recipes they’ll actually be fine, because the sour cream is an acid.

any hope you used sour cream? butter milk? brown sugar?

Update:

(I didn’t use any sour cream, buttermilk, or brown sugar)

Either I misremembered what I used, or it didn’t make much difference. The sugar cookies tasted fine and seemed to bake well enough.

Thanks for all the well-wishing and support!