How should the Pit be changed, if at all?

It would be incorrect if you phrase it the way you did, but not the way I did. “Want” is not the same as “OK with.” There is nothing inherently incorrect about being OK with no changes or small changes, but not big changes. So it depends on how the respondent interprets the poll. You are correct that it is not a well designed poll (no offense intended to the OP).

Based upon your assumptions, and one of these is that people voted that way you think they did. They may have wanted several of the smaller changes also.

Your assumptions aren’t unreasonable I give you that, but you are still making an assumption.

At least two.

There were only 117 voters. So I’m not sure what you’ve done, but you are certainly wrong.

Count me as one that voted for no change, but also voted for changes that would be acceptable if my arm was twisted.

ETA: And I would note that the three most-voted options also all don’t call for much in the way of “changes”; just disabling links (not possible) and creating MORE pit threads rather than using omnibus threads for individual posters.

Add up all the people who voted for some change.

22%, + 17%,+13%, + 10%, +9%= 71%.

Clearly some people who voted for no change also voted for some change.

Yes. The poll has multiple options and you can vote for both “no change” and “some change”.

So, to play along, add up all those votes that result in NO functional difference in the Pit itself:

55 + 22 + 17 = 94%

(No changes necessary + split up omnibus threads + linking disabled)

So … You are counting votes, rather than voters, and if someone voted for three options you are counting them three times?

It looks to me like 53% of voters prefer no change. Some of those people might also be happy with some of the minor (or impossible) changes, but they voted for no change, as well.

I mean, the real problem with the poll is that “who answered” is doubtless biased, probably towards “those who feel strongly”.

But of those who bothered to vote (which doesn’t include me) a clear majority want the pit to remain.

Yeah that’s the only way to conclude it.

If you can say “no changes are necessary”, but at the same time “I would like these additional changes”, then even if the answers aren’t in conflict they’re also not equivalent. Regardless it’s hard to get anything meaningful out of this poll. :frowning:

Exactly, my point all along. But others here have claimed it is 72%, not 53%. Counting one way they have a point.

So you claimed 71%
:stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah obviously I could have designed the poll to make the result a little more straightforward to interpret, but I don’t know why you think there nothing meaningful to be gained from the poll - to me it’s pretty obvious. For example, we can see that almost nobody who responded supports abolishing the Pit, so I’m in a significant minority of poll respondents. Likewise, of the people who think changes are necessary, most only support relatively minor changes. The whole purpose of this was to see what peoples’ support were for each individual option, and I think this poll tells that story. YMMV.

I agree that this poll isn’t likely to be representative of the whole board population, and also says absolutely nothing about potential future members, so I don’t know if this will have any impact on mod decisions, but on the face of it it seems like its basically a confirmation of the “null hypothesis”. I’m disappointed that the majority of the poll respondents think this way but I am not too surprised.

So, you’re conceding on behalf of the rebellion? We can close this thread?

The math is weird, the only real math you can count on is what the post says.

WTF? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

pretty sure he means that your posts

are endorsing this one:

It’s clear that enough people want the pit as it is that it’s not going anywhere. It’s probably the most popular feature on the board. I find that sad, but there you go.

I won’t bring it up again. Tilting at windmills, and all that.

I like the change that the Pit titles are a more generic “I pit Soandso”. Even if I don’t agree with permitting personal insults, having the insults be segregated to inside the thread makes them easier to ignore.

I’m still a proponent of “let’s test out some changes to the Pit,” but that idea did not catch fire as I had hoped :slight_smile:

And it’s not a priority for me, so c’est la vie!

By no means. Today I see IMHO as the most popular, followed closely by Cafe Society, then GQ, MPSIMS, and Quarantine zone all having the highest “per week” stats. The Pit and ATMB are last. Which may explain the numbers of responses here.