- The Pit should be abolished
- Attacks on other posters should not be allowed
- Insults to broad groups of people should not be allowed (by ethnicity, nationality, political orientation, etc.)
- Language should be regulated in the Pit (eg. you could accuse a poster of trolling but can’t use insulting language)
- No “Omnibus” threads - pittings should be limited to a specific incident
- Disable Discourse showing links to the Pit (if this is technically feasible)
- No changes are necessary
- Other (specify in post)
As there has been a lot of discussion lately on the Pit in many recent threads, I thought it might be helpful to try to get a feel for what the community as a whole wants to see done with the Pit. I feel like I’ve read as many posts defending the Pit as there are posts arguing for changes or even elimination of the Pit, but it’s awfully hard to tease out which views have the most support.
Frankly, I think the Pit is a negative influence on this board and the arguments that I’ve seen in its favour have not convinced me that it provides net positive value to the board. However, I do recognize that it is popular with a certain portion of the board membership so I think it would be good to understand just how many people think the Pit is good in its current state, or if most people think changes are necessary.
I’ve set up the poll to allow up to 3 selections, in case you think more than one change would be good.