How should the Pit be changed, if at all?

Funnily enough, some of our more notable and now-departed conservative posters were fond of making the argument that the reason certain demographics were more heavily targeted and punished by law enforcement was because they were disproportionately more likely to engage in bad behavior rather than due to any systemic bias, while separately arguing that the reason right-wing posters here tended to be more often Pitted and/or the focus of moderation was due to systemic bias rather than because they were disproportionately more likely to engage in bad behavior.

Which are basically the same thing, because they are saying things in line with their political views and people don’t like it and start having a go at them.

Whatever happened to Der_Trihs? Haven’t seen him/her in ages.

~Max

Yeah. I’m gonna assume that it was the strongest example filmore could find of the problem, and not just a half-assed attempt at an example, because the latter would be super poor form.

So let’s look at this strong example of the problem he cites, of “unleashing pent-up frustration using relatively minor stuff as pretense.” As an OP, sure, it’s an example. But look at what’s in the first ten responses:

So, in the strongest example you can find of this problem–going back 14 years to find it–6 of the first ten responses are disagreeing with the OP. (Of the remaining four, one seems to be agreeing, and three are making dumb jokes).

This looks, if anything, like evidence that the Pit doesn’t need a change: when people make stupid Pit threads, the Pit takes them to task for it.

I think I made a very good explanation of why that isn’t the case, if you don’t take my statement out of context as you just did.